Maple Syrup/Bourbon Brined Turkey

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
Since the wife and I did not have to go to a family dinner on Thanksgiving because the family was having it on Saturday I decided to smoke a turkey for us. I found a recipe on the Barbecue Bible Up in Smoke site. It consisted of Maple Syrup, Bourbon, Kosher Salt, and water. I mixed the brine and placed the turkey and brine in a two gallon zip loc bag and placed it in the fridge for about 12 hrs. Thursday morning it was very cold and windy temps in the low 20's so I decided to cook it in the Weber kettle as I felt that it would be easier to keep the temp up. I placed two fire bricks across the grate as a divider and started a full chimney of BBB and dumped it on top of about 20 unlit coals and some hickory chunks. Placed the turkey in a roasting pan with a rack in the bottom along with some chicken broth. Before I cooked it I seasoned with Plowboys Yardbird. Kettle settled in at 350 at the grate and stayed there for about 2.5 hrs. I started the bird breast down for the first 1-1/2 hrs and then placed it breast up for the rest of the cook. When it reached 170-175 deg I removed and let it rest for 20 minutes and then sliced. I must say that it was the most moist, juicy and tasty turkey I have ever cooked. The Brine was excellent. It gave the turkey a taste that is hard to describe. There was no Bourbon or Maple taste per say but it was excellent. Sorry no pictures as I forgot to charge my phone. The wife just loved it so I will be doing this brine and cook again.

Good to hear! I brined a turkey for the 1st time - it was excellent and moist and -
NO Pics as well!

Good to hear! I brined a turkey for the 1st time - it was excellent and moist and -
NO Pics as well!
I was going to get some pictures but I forgot to charge my phone Then I got busy and never got any. It looked very nice and dark golden brown and none of the meat was dried out or burned. The only thing I will do differently the next time is I will add some of the Plowboys Yardbird rub to the brine just to see if I can kick it up a notch and use one more chunk of hickory for just a little more smoke flavor. As I said the taste was excellent and the wife loved it, but you all know how it is. Just gotta try and make it better.

Sounds AMAZING!!! But but but... no pics?!?! :(
Sorry. Read above.

I was going to get some pictures but I forgot to charge my phone Then I got busy and never got any. It looked very nice and dark golden brown and none of the meat was dried out or burned. The only thing I will do differently the next time is I will add some of the Plowboys Yardbird rub to the brine just to see if I can kick it up a notch and use one more chunk of hickory for just a little more smoke flavor. As I said the taste was excellent and the wife loved it, but you all know how it is. Just gotta try and make it better.

Sorry. Read above.

Alright, we’ll forgive you this one time :)

Alright, we’ll forgive you this one time :)

Thanks, I accept your forgiveness. and promise I will get pictures next time. The wife decided we will be having leftovers from the turkey tonight so we get to enjoy it again. Also I forgot to mention that I stuffed the bird with some brats I bought at the local meat market and tomorrow we will be having them along with home made sauerkraut. When I removed them from the bird I put them on the grille to finish them off. I had to taste one and it was different than any brats I have had before.

Back