Maple Bourbon Salmon Candy

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Ran across a post kcmike from Oakridge posted on the book of face from someone in Montreal and just had to try it out.

Used a brine from MrT from the cookshack forum, I think I might have posted it here a while back as well.

Cubed up the salmon and into the fridge for about 12 hours.

qyUDNDdh.jpg

Then into the fridge to form a pelicule for about 4 hours.

SXnH4Nsh.jpg

Then into the FEC with some maple pellets at 200, original recipe said 180-200 for about 2 hours. Ended up smoking them for just about 1 1/2 hours.

3pJRTYQh.jpg

Mixed up some glaze. Original recipe was Maple Syrup & Gin, but since I'm not a fan of gin, I used bourbon. 2/3 maple syrup 1/3 bourbon.

CM8h8f1h.jpg

Gave it three coats of glaze, about 10 minutes in between coats.

KwrPsVDh.jpg

ehRuKJOh.jpg

DC4ywWGh.jpg

Original recipe used Oakridge Chile lime rub, but I didn't have any so I used Naturiffic Peppery Lime instead. Gave it a sprinkle.

rO94UyXh.jpg

Good Eats!

z9vRotmh.jpg

REuI1nEh.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I thought I had salmon tonight, but mine was just fish compared to that. I was debating getting the marinated stuff or plain, and settled on the latter because the wife doesn't care for the sweetness. That is a recipe I will have to try when she is out of town. Great looking bites, Andy!!

That is very nice. I make salmon candy for a friend and his daughter but have never thought of glazing it. I think they might like something like this.

Now it looks like the glaze does set up a little?? Did you measure the internal temp? And you don't happen to have a photo of the inside do you?

That is very nice. I make salmon candy for a friend and his daughter but have never thought of glazing it. I think they might like something like this.

Now it looks like the glaze does set up a little?? Did you measure the internal temp? And you don't happen to have a photo of the inside do you?

Yes, the glaze does set up, I put on three coats about 10 minutes apart. I started glazing around 115, was about 135 when done if I recall. Still nice and juicy, didn't want to over cook it. Original recipe said 2 hours.

kzWR8UKh.jpg

Yes, the glaze does set up, I put on three coats about 10 minutes apart. I started glazing around 115, was about 135 when done if I recall. Still nice and juicy, didn't want to over cook it. Original recipe said 2 hours.

kzWR8UKh.jpg

Thanks for that information, that internal peek is just the way I like it. By the way.... Mr T's Hot Smoked Salmon brine is one of the few brine cures I will use or recommend to others. Not that there are not other fine brine cures out there, I am a dry cure guy, but Tom's brine is a good one. I'll be giving this a try.

Salmon candy - that’s why I love this forum. Would have never know about it otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can you post the “original recipe” you keep referring to?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByNeM5AhgaI/

lunique_maude
Quelle est la recette :)?
5wReply
projet.bbq's profile picture
projet.bbq
@lunique_maude Cut in cube.
Brine 12h with 1L of water 60 gram of kasher salt and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.

Rinse, dry and smoke around 2h at 180-200F

Glaze every 15mins with 2/3 syrop and 1/3 gin.

Désolé pour l’anglais c’est un copy paste de ce que j’ai écrit hier en private

Thanks for sharing! Looked so good had to try it out this weekend as well!

Brined ~10 hours in salt/brown sugar solution, in the smoke (I used cherry) on the Weber Performer for a total of about 1.5 hours as well. Basted 3-4 times (Syrup/Jack Daniels) about 10 minutes apart toward the end and finished with a sprinkle of Oakridge smokey chile lime salt!

Turned out amazing!

Attachments

• salmon.jpg
    salmon.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
Back