Make 'em SWEAT!

birgey

Knows what a fatty is.
Been feeling really down in the dumps lately, with Dad passing 1 1/2 months ago, the ex wives (yeah, I have 2 of 'em) taking me back to court for MORE child support:evil: (can't I have ANY money left to live on your Honor?), and whatnot...so I said phark it. I'm gonna make some ribs for some much needed BBQ Therapy.

Decided to try the "make 'em sweat" version instead of the 3-2-1 version on some ribs.

Got 2 racks of Spare Ribs. Trimmed 'em up then sat 'em back in the fridge. I was almost out of rub, so I thought I'd make up a new batch...and of course,NATURALLY, that led me to make up a new batch of sauce.
Anyway, tried some experimenting. Threw some Sugar In The Raw into my mix of rub,and MAN!!! This rub is awesome!
Ingredients:
white sugar
Lt brown sugar
Sugar In The Raw
Kosher Salt
paprika
smoked paprika
black pepper
lemon pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
chili powder
crushed red pepper
cumin
coriander
Old Bay Seasoning
McCormick's Molasses & Bacon Seasoning
cayenne pepper
(think that's it, it's written down at home)

So then I made up a new batch of sauce, and thought I'd go for a new flavor profile.
Ingredients:
ketchup
honey
molasses
1 can frozen apple cherry juice concentrate
1 can frozen orange pineapple concentrate
1 fresh plum
1 fresh pear
1 fresh apple
1 fresh whole clove garlic
1/2 large Vidalia onion
cayenne pepper
crushed red pepper
black pepper chili powder
1 1/4 cups aforementioned rib rub
apple cider vinegar
(again, think that's it. wrote it all down at home)

I took the fresh produce and cut skin off/deseeded and then cut in small chunks. Threw them into the wife's Ninja blender and basically liquified it. let it all simmer in kettle for about 30 minutes, cooled,then bottled.

Let me tell ya...this rub and sauce was UN-pharkin-believeable on those ribs!!! Brought pit up to 330, rubbed down the ribs real good, and threw 'em on. Never wrapped them. I did, at one point in time though, pour a little bit of beer on them (guess I needed another excuse to get another beer...or 2 :mrgreen: ). Pit did hit 350 for about an hour though, but I never wrapped them.
After about 5 hours, they looked like they were getting close, so I mopped them real good with some sauce. 30 minutes later, another dose of sauce. After about 6 hours total, I pulled them off. Let em rest a bit, then chowed down.
OMG :shocked: Best ribs I've ever done! The flavor was outta this world. usually, my sauce is sweet at first, then the heat starts to kick ya in your mouth. With this batch, I toned down the cayene some, and with the addition of the different fruits and fresh veggies, it complimented ribs so great!
I'd post pics, but they didn't last long at all. And while they were simmering and sweating, I was mowing the yard.

Anyway, have any of you ever tried this? Either the fresh fruits/veggies in your sauce, or not wrapping your ribs? If so, how'd it go?

I feel your pain mate. So cook some spares and enjoy life. Then eat some good Q and realize life is pretty good with good food.

Back