MAK 1 Star Has Arrived

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Tim
Dave, from Bart's Blazin' Q, delivered my new MAK on Friday. This thing is awesome, I really liked my old 1 Star, but this new model is the cat's a$$. Larger cooking surface, taller, FlashFire ignitor, grease drawer instead of a bucket...etc.

So I fired it up right away, and did the initial burn in (90 minutes @ 450 degrees). Lowered the temp to 275, and tossed some wings on. The wings tookquite a bit longer than on my old MAK, so I was thinking the new model was cooking a bit different for whatever reason. They turned out really tasty, but didn't have the skin texture that I desire.

29946051415_f676ae933a_b.jpg

Sunday, I agreed to cook some ribs for a neighbor who has the desire to learn the craft. He was one of the attendees at me class, but had showed up late, and wanted to stick around from start to finish this time around. He did have to run home between steps to complete his honey do list, but was around for all the important steps.

29830210842_381bbf03cb_b.jpg

While the ribs were cooking, I threw some Johnsonville brats and chicken thighs on the Kettle. Rubbed the thighs with 50/50 (mix of HDD & Santa Maria). The thighs were crispy skinned goodness, and I topped them with some Big Bob Gibson's White BBQ Sauce.

29650389220_7914255eb7_b.jpg

29830155482_8c955cf3b5_b.jpg

29650426290_0371141d34_b.jpg

I was so involved in cooking his ribs, that I almost forgot to get our dinner going. I fired up the LG BGE, and rubbed some Prime boneless short ribs with Peppered Cow. I neglected to get anymore pics of the shorties, but they were tender and juicy, and served with corn on the cobb, and a salad of tomato/avocado/red onion.

29944158565_5104700184_b.jpg

29650431850_769442ec58_b.jpg

The ribs turned out fantastic, and right on time (compared to my previous cooks on the old MAK). I started the cook a bit earlier than normal, due to the wing cook not going as planned, but I'm chalking that up to the wings being different...it's happened before. I had him bring a cooler, just in case they finished earlier than he needed, so that worked out well.

29650446310_cab455ab44_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, and have a great day!

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

So I got a text this morning, from the neighbor I cooked the ribs for, here is the feedback...

They were a big hit. When I walked in from your place my wife's friend was over for a few minutes. Her and her fiancé tried a piece from the meaty portion. They were blown away. My wife then tried a piece and I got a big smile out of here. She even had some at dinner time. ( I had to remove the meat from the bone ) Now she is on board with the pellet grill.
She also loved the chicken rub.

Our guest loved the ribs also. One person said that he had to force himself to stop eating them.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Gotta love making people happy with BBQ!

"......some Johnsonville brats"

Man, I should work something out with you to get you some good Wisconsin brats. I do have relatives in Palos Verdes (one of the original large landowners of the area)and it's long been a plan to get out there.

Johnsonville brats market nationwide so a lot of people get the impression that's what a brat is supposed to taste like. We have four meat shops within ten miles of me that are 4th or 5th generation owned with brat recipes that came from the old country and haven't changed. Don't get me wrong, Johnsonville doesn't make a bad product....but it's kind of like the Oscar Meyer of the brat world now (well at least to brat snobs).

Smoker is looking sweet....maybe just forget the brats and search for that groundhog we were talking about the other day :mrgreen:

That's a great note! And yes, feeding folks great BBQ is always rewarding

He's been trying to talk his wife into letting him buy a pellet grill (yes, another on e of those guys...lol), this was a step in the right direction in making that a reality.

"......some Johnsonville brats"

Man, I should work something out with you to get you some good Wisconsin brats. I do have relatives in Palos Verdes (one of the original large landowners of the area)and it's long been a plan to get out there.

Johnsonville brats market nationwide so a lot of people get the impression that's what a brat is supposed to taste like. We have four meat shops within ten miles of me that are 4th or 5th generation owned with brat recipes that came from the old country and haven't changed. Don't get me wrong, Johnsonville doesn't make a bad product....but it's kind of like the Oscar Meyer of the brat world now (well at least to brat snobs).

Smoker is looking sweet....maybe just forget the brats and search for that groundhog we were talking about the other day :mrgreen:

I was born and raised in Menominee, MI, so I am familiar with brats. For some reason, I've always liked Johnsonville. I'm sure there are some great meat markets out your way, and I'd love to try some of your local offerings (other than the 1 g/f I had from Crivitz :wink:) We have some great meat markets out here, but their brats are always lacking something.

No groundhog on my menu...lol

Wow! I just ordered a new MAK 1 to replace a Traeger Lil Tex which I honestly never felt much love for. Looking for the grill to be primarily a smoker, I am hoping for more smoke than I have been getting. I hope I made a good choice with the MAK 1...we shall see.

Wow! I just ordered a new MAK 1 to replace a Traeger Lil Tex which I honestly never felt much love for. Looking for the grill to be primarily a smoker, I am hoping for more smoke than I have been getting. I hope I made a good choice with the MAK 1...we shall see.

No pellet cooker will give you much smoke flavor, but you'll get some. If you run it on the smoke setting early on, then ramp up after that, you might be okay. Huge step up from a Traeger, I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

No pellet cooker will give you much smoke flavor, but you'll get some. If you run it on the smoke setting early on, then ramp up after that, you might be okay. Huge step up from a Traeger, I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

Bruce at MAK gave me the same advice as you: to smoke first, cook second. I think I spent a good many years "oversmoking" meats on my charcoal smokers, now I am looking for a delicate but at least notable smoke aroma/flavor. With the Traeger, despite all the tricks I could muster, the wife asked me...did you smoke this meat or just grill it? I was getting virtually no smoke flavor from the Traeger, so any improvement with the MAK will be a 100% improvement.

Back