Made a decision about offset smoker

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
And I have chosen………

Not buying anything. I smoked a brisket, a butt, and 3 racks of St Louis ribs on my Karubecue this past weekend. I got a new load of greener wood, you can actually taste the smoke now. It’s still on the mild side, but half of the people I cook for prefer if that way.

The real reason I’m not going to buy another smoker right now is the price of meat. I spent $120 on the meat I just smoked. A year ago that was $80 or less. I spent half the day complaining about meat prices. Then it hit me - if I’m whining about $40, I can’t justify $2k+ for a new smoker right now. Rarely do I make rational decisions about buying new toys, but even the sun shines on a dog’s butt sometimes.

There is. But I think I’ll sit this one out for a little while and see what meat prices do over the next year.

My wife always asks the correct question when I say I want to buy a new smoker. It is not how much the smoker will cost but what will it cost to fill it up with meat.

I figure there’s 2 possible outcomes:

A - Everything continues to get more expensive, I’m glad I saved the money
B - Prices come back down to Earth, I enjoy a new smoker

I still want a Karubecue, sooooo…

It’s a little weird using one. If I was given my money back for it, I’d say about 50/50 chance I’d buy it again. It’s form factor is awkward and the firebox size requires a lot of cutting/splitting firewood. The food comes out better than on my pellet grill or my Good One smoker though.

It’s a little weird using one. If I was given my money back for it, I’d say about 50/50 chance I’d buy it again. It’s form factor is awkward and the firebox size requires a lot of cutting/splitting firewood. The food comes out better than on my pellet grill or my Good One smoker though.

I still want one to monkey around with…

It’s different, I’m different…

#seewhatimsayin

And shipping....

I think that’s part of why everything is costing so much. My friend does beer distribution from a brewery, his cost for a truckload of beer from Louisiana to Florida went from about $1000 to about $4000. Steel prices are actually cheaper than they were a year ago.

I still want one to monkey around with…

It’s different, I’m different…

#seewhatimsayin

I like it, I would still recommend it. Just not as strongly as Amazing Ribs does.

Keep watching Marketplace and Craigs. When that really nice used offset for that really nice price shows up locally......you'll change your mind. :nod:

Keep watching Marketplace and Craigs. When that really nice used offset for that really nice price shows up locally......you'll change your mind. :nod:

That’s been my plan of attack, unfortunately it hasn’t happened yet but hopefully it will. Shipping is the killer for sure, hopefully that will come down at some point so if & when you’re ready you’ll have money left over for meat.

Back