Looking for some guidance on smoking a 27lb. fresh ham

tobster_3

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with experience smoking fresh hams. I picked up a large 27 lb. fresh ham from the butcher, skin on, raw as can be.

How long will that take to cook if I keep a temp of ~250 on an offset smoker?
What temp should I pull it off at so that it is tender and moist?
I use all hardwood (was going to use some cherry and hickory), do I need to wrap it at some point so I don't over smoke it?

I was thinking I would brine it for a couple days, and do a glaze towards the end of the cook. Not sure that I care if it has that traditional hammy taste, just that I end up with something my ball team will enjoy.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I've smoked fresh hams. I assume you mean "green"

If so don't worry about over smoking, especially if you leave the skin on. I removed my skin and cooked about the same temps. Fresh hams take to at least 160*

I've done a couple of these. Left the skin on, and cranked the heat at the end to crisp up. Chopped it up, and mixed in with some of the chopped pork. What you have is basically a big ol pork roast. Most of it will taste like a pork loin. I believe I pulled it off around 145ish, with quite a bit of carryover from the high temp finish.

It's been awhile, so I can't really help with timing. I know if you end with high temp it will shave time off considerably. Good luck.

I've done a couple of these. Left the skin on, and cranked the heat at the end to crisp up. Chopped it up, and mixed in with some of the chopped pork. What you have is basically a big ol pork roast. Most of it will taste like a pork loin. I believe I pulled it off around 145ish, with quite a bit of carryover from the high temp finish.

It's been awhile, so I can't really help with timing. I know if you end with high temp it will shave time off considerably. Good luck.

Yes with carryover it reaches 160* would be safe. I'd feel better pulling in the low to mid 150's though.

I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with experience smoking fresh hams. I picked up a large 27 lb. fresh ham from the butcher, skin on, raw as can be.

How long will that take to cook if I keep a temp of ~250 on an offset smoker?
Estimate about an hour a pound at 250°

What temp should I pull it off at so that it is tender and moist?
Minimum safe temperature according to the USDA is 145° and if you slice it like a pork roast internally it may be pink in color. If a pink appearance is a problem you may want to go to a higher temperature.

I use all hardwood (was going to use some cherry and hickory), do I need to wrap it at some point so I don't over smoke it?
Wrapping can also help the meat cook quicker, just wrap when the outside has the desired color you wish.

I was thinking I would brine it for a couple days, and do a glaze towards the end of the cook. Not sure that I care if it has that traditional hammy taste, just that I end up with something my ball team will enjoy.
It won't taste like ham because the meat will not be cured, so it will taste like a smoked pork roast.

The hams do not have as much internal fat as the shoulder. Leaving the skin on and raising the temperature will help speed up cooking time and the skin will help to keep the meat from drying out as the fat renders into the meat.

Minimum safe temperature according to the USDA is 145° and if you slice it like a pork roast internally it may be pink in color. If a pink appearance is a problem you may want to go to a higher temperature.

I realize the USDA still says 145 for pork but the general consensus on green ham seems to be 155-160* It's still very moist at that temp for fresh green hams.

It ain't ham unless it's cured. So is it ham or fresh pork leg? Depends what you want to end up with.

I've done a couple in my offset. The skin is absolutely the candy of it all. I just lightly score it and put it on. I've done mine at more of a "normal" oven temperature... usually about 325-ish. I pull it when a few different locations are reading around 150-155. I just tent it and let it rest for about 20 minutes or so. I don't glaze it though. I feel that more for ham than pork. This will have such a good flavor that you should/wouldn't want to glaze it. I think the glaze works well with the hams due to the salt/sweet contrast.

I've only done one b4 and cooked it like it was a pork butt (195ish IT). Don't do that! It was dry dry dry:(
If I find one again I'll go the 155-160° route like others have said.

Back