Look over my Shirley specs before I order

I may scale down to the old cabinet model 30" x (whatever it takes to get a 65" rack) with 2 racks. I'll ask if he'll price both and see if it sways the decision. May not be that much different in price. May be thousands.

Ok, I sent in the specs. Can't wait to get my deposit in and Join the Shirley cult! This should go much better than my old Char Griller offset!

Last edited:
I may scale down to the old cabinet model 30" x (whatever it takes to get a 65" rack) with 2 racks. I'll ask if he'll price both and see if it sways the decision. May not be that much different in price. May be thousands.

Ok, I sent in the specs. Can't wait to get my deposit in and Join the Shirley cult! This should go much better than my old Char Griller offset!

you lose 10"-12" of rack length on a reverse flow to allow the space for the air to turn and come back across the racks. You would need a 75" cook chamber to get 65" racks. Probably less money to do 3 shorter racks with a shorter cook chamber. 65" + 65" = 130" vs 44" + 44" + 44" = 132". My thought is that 20" of 30" cook chamber would cost a lot more that a 24x44 rack on the straight back or 21.5x44 on the normal cabinet model. Just more for you to think about...sorry.:loco:

you lose 10"-12" of rack length on a reverse flow to allow the space for the air to turn and come back across the racks. You would need a 75" cook chamber to get 65" racks. Probably less money to do 3 shorter racks with a shorter cook chamber. 65" + 65" = 130" vs 44" + 44" + 44" = 132". My thought is that 20" of 30" cook chamber would cost a lot more that a 24x44 rack on the straight back or 21.5x44 on the normal cabinet model. Just more for you to think about...sorry.:loco:

I LOVE your design and would probably go that route, but I really want the capability to do a whole hog once a year.

I want one rack at 30x65 so I can throw a big ace whole hog in there. (I started by using the inside of a la caja china as my basis and then worked out to hold an even number of pans)

30x 65 will hold 6 pans comfortably (===) or 5 pans (lllll) with access to all 5.
It should also hold a 125lb hog comfortably (I think, please tell me if I'm wrong)

Should be fine for the hog.

Go watch that BBQ Pitmasters where they cooked whole hogs on Lang 84s. They were using the sliding top rack to hold the hogs--those racks are 53.5" x 27". I don't remember what the hogs weighed, but the episode might say.

IT'S OFFICIAL!! I'm on the list!! Straight back design with 3 racks!! It will hold a total 24 full size steam pans! Will see her sometime in Marchish

Congrats! Guess you went with the 30"? Sounds like a beast.

Last edited:
that will be one awesome pit , you need to send the deposit to him as soon as you can because he is all ready backed up till after January he said when I picked mine up two weeks ago . I changed what I ordered four times before he built my pit and was glad of the wait time and being able to change it .

Yeah, 30x75. It just wasn't that much more money and it's nearly double the capacity to do the straight back design. Now I'm thinking about doors on both sides.

Your getting pretty close to what I want the Shirley's to do for me next.

30x80
Cabinet doors on both sides
Grill like an Assasin on the back side (front)
Spot for a Humphries Pint (front)
Two burners
Warming cabinet w/both dampers

I have sent in my deposit and starting to ponder size, I chatted with Paul last night, he is a nice guy.

I am strongly considering a 30" x 80" but I am wondering what type of temps I might be able to run that at? I like to smoke in the 275 range, is the 30 x 80 to big to settle in there?

I have sent in my deposit and starting to ponder size, I chatted with Paul last night, he is a nice guy.

I am strongly considering a 30" x 80" but I am wondering what type of temps I might be able to run that at? I like to smoke in the 275 range, is the 30 x 80 to big to settle in there?

Brother, I have a 30x90 and I can run at 225 or 250 or 275 or 300. Once you have a good coal bed, it just depends on how much wood you want to feed the beast. I can run at 275 adding 3 six inch splits an hour. I love mine! Almost wish I would have went with a 36x90.

Back