Locally available rubs/sauces

Eckie

Full Fledged Farker
The local hardware store changed hands. Finally made it in there the other day looking for an extension cord, and found a pretty good bbq/grill section (for around here). This is the biggest selection of "known and talked about" rubs I have ever seen on the shelf. I know the pics will degrade when zooming in, but would like for the brethren to take a peek of they will and make suggestions for what they know to be good, and if there are any that they think aren't worth it. I will probably pick up some Kosmos, and I believe I've seen good remarks on here before about Blues Hog...

20211005-165906.jpg

20211005-165102.jpg

I realize the price may be a bit higher, but when I looked at getting 2-3 cans of Kosmos the other day, shipping made me change my mind.... So if I can pick up something for just a bit more, I'm saving in a way. Unless I make a big(ger) online order somewhere that offers free shipping...

Plowboys Yardbird is the only rub my wife will use. Plowboys, Kosmos and Blues Hog are all good. I wish are hardware store had a shelf like that.

+1 on Yardbird. Also see Eat rub which is great on pork. Blues Hog rub and the Kosmos rubs never disappoint either.

I realize the price may be a bit higher, but when I looked at getting 2-3 cans of Kosmos the other day, shipping made me change my mind.... So if I can pick up something for just a bit more, I'm saving in a way. Unless I make a big(ger) online order somewhere that offers free shipping...

Plus it's always good to keep our dollars local when we can.

I have a local grocery store chain that has a very similar display in addition to their normal BBQ sauce display. They also have an Ole Hickory running in the meat department!

For those you recommending Blues Hog rub...are you referring to a particular one, or saying that all of them are good? I don't know how many they make, but looks like the store has/had the "dry rub seasoning", "sweet and savory", and "bold and beefy".

Forgot to say earlier, I have some Lamberts "sweet rub o mine" which is ok, but I'm looking for something more.

Yall have me excited to try these!

I like a 50/50 blend of Yard Bird and Bovine Bold for ribs. Both are good rubs in their own right.
I haven't tried most of the others because we don't have any place with a display/selection like this locally. (And yes, shipping charges can be a deal breaker.)

Last edited:
Ah, I see you are all squared away and can post and reply! Perfect.

I walked into an Ace in Montana and northern Wyoming this summer and both had outstanding displays just like that. And they were at the front of the store too! I don't know how they will support that kind of inventory, but I was not complaining.

I picked up some Plowboy's Yardbird, Blues Hog Raspberry Chipotle, Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry, some Kosmos products and some B&B pecan chunks. A new Ace is being built in my town I hope they go this route too.

I noticed in your 'test' thread about shipping costs for Kosmo's.... sign up for e-mail offers on the Big Poppa Smokers site. They have specials every month or so with free shipping and other promotions. They have their own brand of products, carry Kosmo's and a big selection of rubs and sauces.

Is that your local Ace by any chance? My local Ace has a pretty impressive bbq section with all of those and if not more rubs, all brands of charcoal from Fogo to B&B and all sorts of grills, smokers down to the PBC.

Thirdeye, yeah am able to post, for some reason that part of my post continued to give me that error in the techie section, so I finally just gave up on that part...

Ssv3, yes that store just recently got bought and opened back up as an Ace. That selection blew my mind when I saw it, like I almost got giddy. All we had been having around here was what walmart or food lion carried...so weber, Cuisinart, blackstone and a few other ones...nothing what I consider "big" name.like these. And yeah, they carry big green egg, treager, blackstone and maybe a few other types. I didn't get to really hunt in there, was in a hurry and drooled too long at the rubs!

Yup, that's where I picked up Loot n Booty on Adams suggestion for chicken rub. Which I have still to try :roll: I don't have an ACE around me but, there are a couple on the way home from work. Sign up for their rewards and app to get discounts and coupons

I keep experimenting with rub combos but always come back to Yard Bird and either Cimarron Docs or Eat BBQ Zero to Hero. I use 50% Blues Hog Red and 50% Original for sauce. Seems a lot of people use the Blues Hog combo. I've tried to find something better but haven't so far.

Based on this thread ... I trotted down to the local ACE and was amazed at the variety of rubs and sauces. Bought a bunch of things mentioned. Also a lot of things I haven't heard of. Thank you.

Back