THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Decided to take a day off and practice my ribs for a throwdown I'm doing in June.

The cook included 3 racks of ribs in my WSM, an 8.5 lb pork shoulder done in my home built smoker and since we were outside enjoying the day, I fired up a Coleman stove and cooked up some whole hog breakfast sausage links and homemade bacon once we had both cookers going.

First up the ribs. They all had the same basic rub, two I sauces with two different sauces and one I left dry (which is how I prefer them).

null_zpsfc94aa80.jpg

null_zpsb22562f5.jpg

Couple bones of each

null_zps65704d5b.jpg

Wishing I would have got a little more smoke ring but flavor of all three were great.

null_zpsf9e1a6ee.jpg

null_zps6334f713.jpg

null_zpsd222586c.jpg

Next up the pork shoulder. Decided to do a hot and fast cook on this one. It was also my first long cook on my drum smoker. While prepping everything the temps got away from me once (soared to 450 :shocked: ) but we were able to throttle her back to 300 where she chugged along for 7 hours. Quickest I've cooked a shoulder to date.

null_zpse97b3c8f.jpg

null_zpsb2570089.jpg

All in all, it was a pretty awesome Wednesday.

Thanks for the comments folks! I am really happy with the way the smoker turned out and how it performed on this longer cook. This was it's third or fourth cook (the previous cooks being chicken) so I was looking forward to seeing what it would do with a full basket of charcoal.

Here is a little better shot of the drum smoker...

In the next week or so I'm hoping to get a cart built for it that will roll on pneumatic tires and have a built in mount that will slide into my hitch on my Jeep for tailgating and such. :mrgreen:

Back