THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L

LittleDick'sBBQ

Greetings,

Little Dick bought Royal Oak lump instead of briquettes! I've never used lump on the WSM. I'm prepping two racks o' ribs and need a quick primer on how to use lump.

Can I use briquettes (I have some...) to start it?
Is there a way to cook Minion method?
Temperature control?
What else do I need to know??

Thanks,
Little Dick

Pack your charcoal ring with lump - shake it, add more lump. You want to get it tight. Do a minion start with brix but watch the temp -lump burns hot so easy on the air

Enjoy and email me a rib :grin:

Pack your charcoal ring with lump - shake it, add more lump. You want to get it tight. Do a minion start with brix but watch the temp -lump burns hot so easy on the air

Enjoy and email me a rib :grin:

Thanks. How many briquettes do I use to start? How long to get the WSM up to temp.?

Little Dick

That all depends on how much air you give it, but as he said, air goes a lot further with lump than it does with briqs. I'd not use a lot of briqs at all to start it, quarter chimney tops I'd say. The only issue with lump is that it spikes more often, and it gets to temp QUICK. A lot quicker than you're used to if you've never used it. Still not instantly or anything though. Keep an eye on it, in less than half an hour it'll be good to go if it's got proper air. Then you might wanna choke it some, or else it'll spike.

Thanks,

Should I adjust my cooking time for ribs? I cook bone-side-up, no foiling, for about four hours.

Little Dick

No need to worry. I use both in my drum. As said, try and get the lump to stack tight so you can get more in with less voids. You may have to adjust air to get your temps to where you're used to them, but other than that, no biggie. MANY people here prefer lump.

If your cooker temp is 225 it'll take roughly the same time no matter if you're doing briqs or lump. 225 is 225.

You will probably find that you need to close your intake vents more than usual to hold your target temperature. As others have said, lump can burn hotter, with less airflow.

CD

Ribs are ON! The lump does heat up fast. I have two racks (one St. Louis, one babyback) surfin' hickory schmoke. As I was getting the fire lit it started to rain; tornado watch until 8PM (great!).

Wish me luck!

I'm guessing after this cook you'll probably start keeping a bag of lump around. :thumb:

Thanks.

Ya know....it DOES really keep temperature and seems easy to control. Of course, it COULD just be "BBQ-beginners' luck!" :wink:

Little Dick

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I really like lump--- especially Royal Oak. Let us know how the cook goes to the end. Lump burns much cleaner too--- you will have less ash:)

Back