length of time for rub of on ribs before smoking

BigSquealsSmoke

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Quick question, never needed to know this, until I was not able to smoke all the ribs I wanted to do Wednesday, and ran out of time yesterday,

I put my own custom Rub on 5 racks of St. Louis style pork ribs, the ones Costco sells, I usually do them the next day, but due to not enough time, ran out of time to smoke the 2nd batch,

Just looking for some feedback, of how many days can be acceptable to have the rub soaking in the fridge, my package said use or freeze by August 1st, I put the rub on the ribs late Tuesday night, like 11:45 CST, wondering should still be ok to smoke today,

Thanks!

I am far from an authority, but I’m guessing they should be fine. I typically rub the night before - mostly because it’s one less thing to do in the morning - but there have been times where I planned to do them the next day and life happened, and I didn’t get to them for a day or two. Came out fine.

The worst that will happen is they might have more of a "hammy" flavor depending on how much salt you have in your rub.

I rub mine an hour before they hit the smoker.

In addition to the hammy flavor, the texture can tighten because salt in rubs will draw out moisture.

Good info to know, appreciate the replies!

Right now would be at 2 1/2 days sitting with rub, with current prices on pork, I'd rather not waste 6 racks of ribs lol, if they are a little dry, I can live with that......
I bought my 18.5" WSM in 2014 - 2015, got a rub recipe from a former boss, after which, I've hooked and done many many St. louis style racks ribs from Costco, everyone begs, make more!
I've modified my Weber Smokey mountain with the Cajun Bandit stainless spacer, to get more rib racks done, wished I had more time in the day to do multiple smokes, looking for a Backwoods party or similar for future cooks,

I would certainly not throw them out if that's what you're considering.

I would certainly not throw them out if that's what you're considering.

Depends on if he has a dog :razz:

Seriously, I too have had the ham-sicle ribs as my first few years smoking I always rubbed the night before (not my own rub, so no clue what true salt content was).

Never again. For the past couple decades I set up the smoker, start the chimney with however much I am putting in the bin, and then, rub the ribs, butts, etc.

Brisket is fine the night before. But pork, (and even more so, Chicken) I do during cooker prep.

YMMV though, I wouldn't in a million years consider myself an expert.

I do like to go from fridge to counter/rub to cooker quickly though, I don't bring pork up to any type of temperature as some do prior to putting on the cooker. Deep smoke ring appearance starting with a cold cut of meat.

In addition to the hammy flavor, the texture can tighten because salt in rubs will draw out moisture.

Hammy flavor is mostly due to using nitrates not salt. But i agree on the texture changing. Also depending on how much salt is in the rub, might make it too salty. For example ive used a 50/50 Kosher salt/Brown sugar for Salmon for 24 hours and the result was a salmon salt lick.

Hammy flavor is mostly due to using nitrates not salt. But i agree on the texture changing. Also depending on how much salt is in the rub, might make it too salty. For example ive used a 50/50 Kosher salt/Brown sugar for Salmon for 24 hours and the result was a salmon salt lick.

I guess to be most accurate, it's a 'cured flavor' not a 'hammy flavor'. But a smoke ring (whether from natural nitrates or enhanced with nitrites/nitrates) does not actually have a flavor. So.... the 'cured flavor' comes from a combination of your curing agent (which is mostly salt), smoke, aromatics or flavors in the brine, and bacteria/enzyme presence. This NCHFCP document discusses the cured flavor with several examples including dry fermented sausages which don't get cooked or flavored with smoke.

I agree with the long dry cure times on salmon or trout. My cure has no nitrites but even on thick salmon fillets the cure time is about 7 hours.

I agree with the long dry cure times on salmon or trout. My cure has no nitrites but even on thick salmon fillets the cure time is about 7 hours.

I go 12 hours but i use 25/75 Kosher salt/Brown sugar nowadays. And i leave the skin on, and lay it skin down. You live and learn as you go. With Salmon prices nowadays, i am glad i learned years ago when salmon was cheaper to experiment with.

Back