Leg of lamb: bone in or boneless?

Boneless by far... there are a lot more bones to pick and deal with - the ones I’ve done had joInt sockets and a few ribs, much less even cook than boned and rolled. Doing one for Easter along with a ham. And I always like my pork bone in... lamb - not so much.

Salt pepper, vinegar Worcester sauce (with s&p). Simple good yummy.

I've only made boneless as that's all I've really had access too, and have had no complaints. Given choice though, I think I'd go bone in

Boneless by far... there are a lot more bones to pick and deal with - the ones I’ve done had joInt sockets and a few ribs, much less even cook than boned and rolled. Doing one for Easter along with a ham. And I always like my pork bone in... lamb - not so much.

I'd give the guy who's done it more value than my input, this is good to know. I didn't think there would be that many bones

I'd give the guy who's done it more value than my input, this is good to know. I didn't think there would be that many bones
The aitchbone, femur, and the shank bone. The aitchbone can be a small pain to remove, the rest are not too bad. Just takes a sharp boning knife.
I'm just interested in the different ways people do them, I usually go for whichever is less expensive, with a slight preference for the taste of American lamb.

Unless you have boned out a leg before, I'd go boneless. Bone-in is a better deal, but boning out a leg of lamb for the first time is a bit of a challenge.

On the other hand, once you do it a couple times it goes much faster. So if you want to learn how there are a bunch of youtube vids on it. I always go bone in, but I am pretty experienced at breaking it down into it's main cuts.

Boneless... I like to treat that inner meat with whatever strong flavorings. Rosemary, Garlic, or Thyme. S&P. Generally a bit of some sort of milder chili like Paprika. ACV. Then I re-roll and tie for the long slow. Can't do that with the bone in.

Bone in, mainly because i,m lazy.
The bone also carries flavour in my opinion and acts like a heat sink,

When cooking on my smoker I choose boneless since it is neatly tied up, consistent size and cooks much more even since I like it medium rare. If I am having guest that insist on medium well then I do bone-in since the shank end will be medium well/well done by the time the rest is medium rare.

When cooking on my smoker I choose boneless since it is neatly tied up, consistent size and cooks much more even since I like it medium rare. If I am having guest that insist on medium well then I do bone-in since the shank end will be medium well/well done by the time the rest is medium rare.
I guess I look at this as, the interior of the meat has been penetrated, during the boning, before I purchased it, so it needs to be brought to a higher temp for safety. Sort of like buying pre-ground beef. We like rare lamb.

Bone in.
Just carve of it and the bones go to the dogs.
I normally use rosemary, garlic and mustard to rub it. Sometimes I mix in some white wine.
Personally I think all sheep should be on a diet of rosemary, wild herbs and wine so they marinade from the inside out :-D

Back