Late Turn in - Wins GC!!!

ArtBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Art_B-Q
Ok, its been a few weeks since my last comp but I wanted to share a story and see what the general Brethren take is on it.

The competition was not a sanctioned event but was sold as a "Kansas City Rules" BBQ competition on the radio and web. When I asked the person in charge of the rules he told me it was "KCBS lite". Uh ok. :twitch:

Anyway the short story of it was that a team turned in chicken 2 minutes late. That entry was not only allowed but won 1st place in chicken and the team went on to win Grand Champion. Now none of the competitors would have know any of this if not for the MC telling the entire crowd at the awards ceremony, like it was a funny story or something, than had us "give them a round of applause". Uhhhhh... what? :twitch:

When I voiced my opinion via email to the organizers after the event, I got a response 4 weeks later, apologizing but also defending it as "Loose KCBS" rules and it was a learning experience. Uh... yeah, a learning experience that cost me hundreds of bucks. :mad:

I wouldn't have placed in anything anyway due to my scores, which took a week and half to get emailed (another misstep on their part). I do feel for the teams that got reserve and 3rd place overall, as they were robbed.

I just don't even know what to feel about the whole thing. It really turns me off from doing anything other than KCBS events which have their acts together but I've got to think if there is one rule to enforce strictly its gotta be turn-in times, no?

It's not like their were cash prizes or anything, but the whole experience is just trashed when its in the wrong hands.

I would be upset in your shoes but at the end of the day this is why KCBS is successful.

I feel for teams that miss turn ins by just a few seconds but if those rules weren't in place events would be happening just like the one you described.

I competed in a KCBS event last year and I guess the mistake was going from that to a non-sanctioned comp with the expectation that they were going to be somewhat organized. A few seconds late sucks but 2 full minutes late should have never been allowed.

I competed in a KCBS event last year and I guess the mistake was going from that to a non-sanctioned comp with the expectation that they were going to be somewhat organized. A few seconds late sucks but 2 full minutes late should have never been allowed.

I'll bet you a pork butt that the winner was related to the judges.

I will never do an unsanctioned event again. I did a rib cookoff that was supposed to be blind judging.... well after getting my arse kicked, I saw the score cards and found what I'm guessing was an inside joke written in the comment area, next to a perfect score of course.

Yep, we all complain about the judging at some KCBS comps, but it's the best that we have. They wouldn't allow this type of stuff to happen, unless of course, you turn in an empty box, but I don't want to get that all stirred up again.

Ok, its been a few weeks since my last comp but I wanted to share a story and see what the general Brethren take is on it.

The competition was not a sanctioned event but was sold as a "Kansas City Rules" BBQ competition on the radio and web. When I asked the person in charge of the rules he told me it was "KCBS lite". Uh ok. :twitch:

Anyway the short story of it was that a team turned in chicken 2 minutes late. That entry was not only allowed but won 1st place in chicken and the team went on to win Grand Champion. Now none of the competitors would have know any of this if not for the MC telling the entire crowd at the awards ceremony, like it was a funny story or something, than had us "give them a round of applause". Uhhhhh... what? :twitch:

When I voiced my opinion via email to the organizers after the event, I got a response 4 weeks later, apologizing but also defending it as "Loose KCBS" rules and it was a learning experience. Uh... yeah, a learning experience that cost me hundreds of bucks. :mad:

I wouldn't have placed in anything anyway due to my scores, which took a week and half to get emailed (another misstep on their part). I do feel for the teams that got reserve and 3rd place overall, as they were robbed.

I just don't even know what to feel about the whole thing. It really turns me off from doing anything other than KCBS events which have their acts together but I've got to think if there is one rule to enforce strictly its gotta be turn-in times, no?

It's not like their were cash prizes or anything, but the whole experience is just trashed when its in the wrong hands.

Non sanctioned so I guess they can do whatever they want and that sucks, but if their chicken would have gotten thrown out you had one less good entry to compare yourself to....

I don't compete, but that is farked up!
I can understand some things being more lax than a sanctioned event. But turn it times should be set in stone. No deviation.

As others have said, the reason people are willing to pay more to enter events sanctioned by national or regional organizations is mistakes like this that directly affect the results are less likely to occur.

Note I said "are less likely to" not "never". Compete or judge long enough and I guarantee you will see errors from even some of the most experienced Reps that alter the outcome of the contest. Humans are imperfect creatures, so mistakes will happen.

So let's see- no prize money, stealing KCBS rules and procedures without paying for them, not even playing by the rules they stole, no score sheets until 4 weeks later? Right upfront if the organizer is not paying for a sanctioning body, that should be a huge red flag that they don't have their sh** together, and operate in a less than scrupulous manner.

Sanctioning is not everything

Right upfront if the organizer is not paying for a sanctioning body, that should be a huge red flag that they don't have their sh** together, and operate in a less than scrupulous manner.

I disagree with that statement.

I know more than a few non-sanctioned events that are run very well - they simply chose to do their own thing. Some want to focus on public sampling, some different types of categories, comparative judging, keeping entry costs low or whatnot.

Throwing a blanket of accusation over any event that isn't sanctioned just plain wrong - akin to declaring that any restaurant that doesn't belong to a national franchise has a dirty kitchen.

So let's see- no prize money, stealing KCBS rules and procedures without paying for them, not even playing by the rules they stole, no score sheets until 4 weeks later? Right upfront if the organizer is not paying for a sanctioning body, that should be a huge red flag that they don't have their sh** together, and operate in a less than scrupulous manner.

Make one wonder what multipliers they used....

Make one wonder what multipliers they used....

Funny you mention that, because when I finally got the scores back for all the teams, they were just whole numbers. 5 teams had tied for 4th in one case. Isn't the whole point to use a 3 decimal place system?

Back