Lang Smoker Size Dilemma

ShaneLight

Found some matches.
Hey Guys,

I am looking at adding a Lang trailer unit so I have a mobile set up. I do a lot of extended family cooking and some smaller catering jobs. Would like to get into competition cooking, hence the trailer, and have the ability to step up to some larger cooks / catering jobs that I can't really do currently with my set up. I am looking at the Lang 60 deluxe with a second shelf or the 84 deluxe. One of my issues is I only have about 12 ft of length in my garage to store the cooker, the 60D will fit fine as is and Lang said they can customize the trailer on the 84D to fit my space by taking out a foot or so from the basket. Price aside, I'm not sure which one would be better? Any comments from the guys that have cooked on either would be helpful. Thanks!

no lang experience but if you are already having cooking capacity issues then the smaller one may not be a good idea. do you have time to look into other builders with vertical options, cabinet doors or some other way to get more capacity in the footprint you need? does lang offer a larger diameter pipe that would fit on the 84D trailer?

Most people here would say get the largest you can afford You can always put a cover over it and keep it outside

I have a 60D and love it. It is easy to operate and does everything Ben Lang says and more. That being said,if I were buying a new smoker and have limited space.I would have to consider a cabinet model such as Shirley Fab builds or any other stick burning cabinet model . They give you more cooking space with a smaller foot print. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have a 60D and love it. It is easy to operate and does everything Ben Lang says and more. That being said,if I were buying a new smoker and have limited space.I would have to consider a cabinet model such as Shirley Fab builds or any other stick burning cabinet model . They give you more cooking space with a smaller foot print. Just my 2 cents worth.
My 24x55 cabinet model stick burner has the capacity of a 30x80 regular round pipe cooker with 2 racks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

84 deluxe for sure. I’ve got an 84 deluxe w/ chargrill, love it. Possibly build a side shed next to your garage for a roof over the 84? Mines 15ft long ..

84D!! Lang was second only to my Shirley in terms of flavor and consistency of results. My pitmaker has yet to be tested and learned

Very few people look at a cooker and think "Damn, should have gone with less capacity."
Any particular reason you're looking to a Georgia pitbuilder when you have so many great pitbuilders much closer to you in Texas? Certainly worth taking a look at Johnson Smokers as they have a very similar model to the Lang 84" Deluxe for about the same price. Johnson is also about 4 hours away from you (assuming you're in Sugarland) versus 14 hours for Lang.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/12-adv-6-ft/

The Johnson pit has the storage rack on the side, rather than the front, so that will save you a bit of space and the overall length will definitely fit within the 12' space you have.

Good luck either way but definitely go with the 7' cooker as it's not going to eat much more wood, but it will give you more space if you end up needing it for not a whole lot of extra money.

The biggest difference, other than capacity, between the 60D and the 84D is the 84D has doors on both sides and a larger warmer box.
Of course I'm sure Ben would put the double doors on the 60 if you asked.
From what you said about family, catering and wanting to get into some competition, go with the 84D. You won't regret it.

Very few people look at a cooker and think "Damn, should have gone with less capacity."
Any particular reason you're looking to a Georgia pitbuilder when you have so many great pitbuilders much closer to you in Texas? Certainly worth taking a look at Johnson Smokers as they have a very similar model to the Lang 84" Deluxe for about the same price. Johnson is also about 4 hours away from you (assuming you're in Sugarland) versus 14 hours for Lang.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/12-adv-6-ft/

The Johnson pit has the storage rack on the side, rather than the front, so that will save you a bit of space and the overall length will definitely fit within the 12' space you have.

Good luck either way but definitely go with the 7' cooker as it's not going to eat much more wood, but it will give you more space if you end up needing it for not a whole lot of extra money.
Thanks for the info! I am in Sugar Land. I'll check out the Johnson Smokers, they look good online. I would prefer a Shirley fab but at last contact with Tyler they were over 24 months out and I really don't want to wait that long. I thought about Pitmaker but the sniper trailer would run close to 10k without a warmer or much trailer storage so I focused on Lang. Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I am in Sugar Land. I'll check out the Johnson Smokers, they look good online. I would prefer a Shirley fab but at last contact with Tyler they were over 24 months out and I really don't want to wait that long. I thought about Pitmaker but the sniper trailer would run close to 10k without a warmer or much trailer storage so I focused on Lang. Thanks!

Drive to Florida......Wait ....Nevermind .....it Finally Sold.

I get the Shirley Fab backlog being a problem but, there are several available secondhand on the Facebook fan page each month it seems. If you are patient, you can most likely get what you want at a reasonable price if you keep an eye out for the right one.

I also wonder if an IVC (Insulated Vertical Cabinet) model might be a better option for you. LSG is worth a drive to check them out, being out towards Lockhart (~100 miles away). Loading one on a utility trailer is doable with some prep. Of course, you could always have them trailer mount one just like a Shirley too.

The Lang and Shirley options have a strong pull for most people but, an IVC makes a lot of sense once you get past the initial stick burner thoughts. Now add gravity fed to the mix and you have a world of good options to choose from.

Good luck with whatever option you choose but I would certainly give Chad Johnson a call and see if he can give you what you want. Good cookers all around and after ~75 cooks on mine this year I'm a huge fan. Everything is built well, amazing drafting system, removable baffle so it's easier to clean, and a huge firebox with tons of oxygen.

You are Close to several Great pit builders. Lone Star Grillz, Pitmaker, Klose, Pitts by JJ, and a few others....... sure one of them can whip you up a short BadAzz trailer pit....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186946

Lone Star Grillz:
kMqxOORl.jpg

jrKRQMal.jpg

oLjyxssl.jpg

Last edited:
Now if you went with a Vertical smoker you could have a really short trailer.......except it’d be too tall to gone into the garage.....unless you got a short fat vertical with removable exhaust stack.

Back