THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you don't already have one, 1st invest in a good honing steel.
When most knives begin to feel dull, the edge usually just needs to be re-aligned.

I have a decent steel. I wouldn't say that it's great or even good. I was looking at getting a new, better, one and saw these other sharpeners. Would you suggest to stay with the steel?

I have this exact model (with a Ken Onion as well), and this essentially takes the "guess work" out of honing. I get my knives very sharp with the KO Worksharp, but I only sharpen them maybe twice a year because the Brad and Taylor works so well. I NEVER use it sharpen my knives though, and instead only use it to hone the edge. It aligns perfectly and maybe 8-10 pull-throughs at the proper angle it

Mind you I did try to actually sharpen a knife using the Brad and Taylor once...all it did was chip the edge. It removed a TON of material and while the edge was sharper it chipped a bit. But in terms of honing it keeps the edge aligned and I use it daily when I'm working (BBQ food truck).

I have the KO also but like to use the one you linked to for quick touch ups. There is a learning curve but not a bad one.

Most of it is I suck with a steel and I've tried some good ones. Just must not be my forte.

I do like the fact that this sharpener adjusts to the existing angle your knife, so it probably would take just a few strokes to keep your edge in tip top shape.

I have a Ken Onion onion as well and for touch up I'll do 2 or 3 strokes on a ceramic hone. My fillet, boning and small slicers have are 15° and my chef's knives are 17°. If you decide to go the ceramic hone or steel route, I recommend a set of angle guides, and recommend holding the hone vertically with the end resting on a cutting board. Use the guide to establish the angle and draw the knife toward you alternating 2 times.

RhtJXPZ.jpg

I've never seen the Ken Onion before
I watched some videos on youtube in order to understand how it works
there is a little thing that I don't like in this tool, as far as I see
the rotation of the abrasive belt is always in the same direction
So this means that in one side of the knife the belt will go against the edge but in the other side it will go sliding the edge (I apolgize, not easy for me to explain it)
but I've been teached that for a good sharpened edge, the direction of sharpening must be always against the edge. This will avoid any burr

I don't think you need anything else.

It's an old crapy one. I just purchased a ceramic one. I figured I would go with that since I'm already used to the honing steel. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I've never seen the Ken Onion before
I watched some videos on youtube in order to understand how it works
there is a little thing that I don't like in this tool, as far as I see
the rotation of the abrasive belt is always in the same direction
So this means that in one side of the knife the belt will go against the edge but in the other side it will go sliding the edge (I apolgize, not easy for me to explain it)
but I've been teached that for a good sharpened edge, the direction of sharpening must be always against the edge. This will avoid any burr

I wondered the same thing myself, but you can raise a burr on each side.

When I use my work sharp, I rotate the sharpener 180 so I am always sharpening so the belt travels toward the edge (down)for both sides of the blade. The instructions state you are supposed to develop a feather (burr), then you switch to the finer belt. Its not the way I was taught either. but it works very well. the only problem I have had with it is the tendency to round off the tip of the blade if you don't follow the instructions that state you should stop the belt at the tip and not pull it all the way through. the belt tends to flex around the tip. I like mine, but there is a learning curve. I recommend starting with a cheap blade until you get the hang if it.

Back