Kettle fried frog legs and spatchcocked chicken

Mrtodd777

Full Fledged Farker
My wife has been crazy busy these last few months with the opening of her new clinic so it has been up to me to put dinner on the table most nights. :-D

I went and picked up a nice little organic bird yesterday afternoon and while passing the seafood case I saw a pair of great legs!:becky: I couldn't go home without them so I grabbed a few pair and some House Autrys.

Fired up my second wife and got her purring along at about 400.

The chicken was spatchcocked, rubbed down with some Duke's Mayo, then dusted with Oakridge's Chicken and Game Bird Seasoning. (AWESOME STUFF).

The legs were split in two, dipped in a milk/egg wash and dredged in House Autry's, then sprinkled with HDD. The plate above was my wife's when she got home. I decided to forego the chicken until the next day and plated up those sexy legs with some cheesy rice. Everything turned out great!!

That looks terrific. I've never tried mayo on chicken, but that makes me want to try it. How thick did you apply it? Does it keep the skin from getting crispy? What can ya tell me about it?

Thanks!

That looks terrific. I've never tried mayo on chicken, but that makes me want to try it. How thick did you apply it? Does it keep the skin from getting crispy? What can ya tell me about it?

Thanks!

I have only recently started using it and I love what it does for the bird. I only use a very light coating.. You definitely still want to see the skin through the mayo. I rub it under the skin as well as all over the outside, then season. IT helps the seasoning adhere, it adds a lot of moisture to the bird, and surprisingly helps the skin crisp! I am cooking at higher temps but this method has yielded the juiciest bird with the crispiest skin so far. I was hesitant at first thinking the mayo would still be there when it was done cookin, but there is no trace left when the bird is done.

Wow I never really wanted to try Frog legs until that pic. Looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

Wow I never really wanted to try Frog legs until that pic. Looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

They are definitely worth a try. I grew up eating them and forgot all about this delicious white meat until several years after college when I saw them on a menu. I've been making them almost weekly since then...

All looks great. I also coat chicken with Mayo and I wouldn't have it any other way.

You lost me with all the abbreviations, I figured out house autrys is a breadcrumb, but the food looks really great and well done manning up for the Mrs!
:thumb:

You lost me with all the abbreviations, I figured out house autrys is a breadcrumb, but the food looks really great and well done manning up for the Mrs!
:thumb:

I didn't realize that until now. Sorry about that Bucc! HDD stands for Oakridge Habanero Death Dust, and you were correct about House Autrys. It is a flour based breading. Duke's Mayo is just a brand of good mayonnaise. Thanks for looking!

Back