Kerrygold garlic herb butter on primerib?

noles2g

Knows what a fatty is.
Merry Christmas guys and gals!
I was wondering if anyone has ever used this stuff on the outside of a roast before cooking? Or used in any other applications. I saw something online they used something similar. I was planning on taking a stick of this adding some thyme and Rosemary and black pepper. I rubbed some KS on it last night and it’s just sitting in the Fridge until tomo for Christmas Day dinner. Alternatively I can just used regular butter and add fresh garlic and the mentioned herbs. Just don’t want to ruin the roast! Planning on cooking around 250 on the KJ then rest and quick sear for finish.

Last edited:
I have used it but could not tell much difference. the price difference between regular butter and kerrygold makes me stick to Kirkland's butter. But hell it's Christmas, splurge!

Here is the tutorial for the butter method:

https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-prime-rib-roast/

If I was doing it I'd absolutely use Kerrygold. There are very few things I use Kerrygold for that I can't tell the difference. In baking especially. But also for some meat items. Wife made Mississippi mud roast a couple weeks ago and substituted Kerrygold. I didn't know but commented to her it was the best one she's ever made.

I'd say totally worth using on a special meal like this!

Premium butters tend to shine best when spread on bread or otherwise consumed in solid form. Melted on a slab of meat I am skeptical that even the most sensitive palate could ever notice. That said, it certainly won't hurt anything - just not best bang for the buck. Save the premium butter for the rolls.

Thank you for the quick feedback. Y’all are the best. Hope everyone has Merry Christmas. Will try and post the before and after pics if I can fend off the team tomo! I was afraid to post the hey grill hey link but that was what inspired me.

IMnotalwaysHO, you are wasting the good butter if you do that. Good butter like that should be going on bread or food that you will be tasting butter with (potatoes, corn on the cob, grits, your spoon :heh:)! It sounds good in a recipe but I would say any pure butter is going to work.

Do ya have an Aldi close?

If so go buy their Irish butter, it’s as good as Kerrygold and cheaper!

We use it on everything, well not all of us...

One of the kids says it’s too “buttery...”

#weirdo

#weirdo

agreed! We call it "Christmas butter" - like you would spread on cranberry bread or blueberry muffins on Christmas day.

We like it best cold, after slightly warming the bread.

I don't understand the trend of enrobing in butter. Kerrygold and other premium European-style butters are 85% fat and 15% milk solids.

My experience in butter enrobing is that just like coating your roast in bacon fat, the butter melts off right away taking most of your rub with it. Slow poaching in butter? Sure! Smoking or roasting not so much.....

Give it a shot, but I will stick with a thin coat of mustard and my standard rub every time. I want my seasonings on the meat and not in the drip pan.

My tastes on the high end butters must not be sophisticated enough, however I like a compound butter chilled and sliced to melt on some things. Kerrygold does make some really good Irish cheddar, and it's wonderful smoked. i have some from 6 months ago that has mellowed wonderfully.

#weirdo

Jeremy, she's got plenty of time to grow out of it. Don't stress.

Kerrygold garlic herb butter...I think we had it and wasn't our favorite. Had a fake/chemical taste. We do like regular Kerrygold though. I did take Jeremy's advice and got the Aldi brand. Wife made whipped butter out of it as requested by our youngest for baked potatoes. Awesome recommendation Jeremy...thanks!

In progress

Attachments

• 8CBFEE9F-F1D1-4633-86B2-29944157DE06.jpg
    8CBFEE9F-F1D1-4633-86B2-29944157DE06.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 82C5AFC9-1C4C-4D81-B18D-08B8B0672901.jpg
    82C5AFC9-1C4C-4D81-B18D-08B8B0672901.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
  • F4F0D6FD-C317-49F7-9AC5-1163E329E6A9.jpg
    F4F0D6FD-C317-49F7-9AC5-1163E329E6A9.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 28
Back