KCBS Question

GLOCKer

Knows what a fatty is.
About a year ago I attended a BBQ class (it was awesome!!!!!) and I believe they purchased all of their meats from Restaurant Depot. One of the things discussed in the class was the KCBS and that a membership allows you access to Restaurant Depot stores.

I'm trying to get some clarification; does membership to the KCBS allow you unlimited access to Restaurant Depot or just one trip a year?

Thank you!!!

It's my understanding you log on the the KCBS site and print a daily pass, then show your membership card + the pass and you are good for one visit. Next time you want to go, print another pass.

Thanks guys! The brisket selection in my area seems to suck. I can only find flats at the grocery stores and Costco. The flat at Costco is pretty big, but woefully small at the local grocery stores. I could get a packer from one of the many local butcher shops, but I don't want to pay that kind of money!!! I've only done one brisket, a flat, and want to do proper burnt ends!!!! A KCBS membership may be the ticket because there is a Restaurant Depot just a couple miles from my house.

They know me so well at my local RD, they actually gave me a Restaurant Depot fob with "Kansas City BBQ Society" printed on it!

I just saw this thread and signed up for KCBS to get into Restaurant Depot. Cheaper than a Costco Membership, and I hear the briskets are way better.

Wonder if they will take my signup email confirmation, or if I have to wait for the actual membership packet? Only one way to find out...

I just saw this thread and signed up for KCBS to get into Restaurant Depot. Cheaper than a Costco Membership, and I hear the briskets are way better.

Wonder if they will take my signup email confirmation, or if I have to wait for the actual membership packet? Only one way to find out...

The brisket I cooked during the BBQ class I took roughly a year ago came from RD and it was really nice! I've only handled briskets in the local supermarkets since then and not purchased one because after that one brisket, I'm hesitant to screw around with what I've seen in the supermarket.

The flat I got from Costco was a good piece of meat for a flat, but they took the meat from the point off and left the layer of fat from between the point and the flat. Sure sucked paying for that fat!!! LOL

Once you get access to the website you can print out the Restaurant Depot flyer. On it is the account number for KCBS that the cashiers can use to check you out. They might get picky and ask for your membership card (which KCBS sends through the mail) but that hasn't happened to me yet.

I signed up for KCBS partly to get access to RD, but I've been going to them for years, when I was in the food/bev industry, then as a tag along with friends with full membership.

I wouldn't say the beef is better than Costco. Maybe more selection, but the choice grade is about the same. RD has a lot of select grade I'd never touch and I don't recall ever buying prime at RD.

(Full disclosure: I only smoke full packer briskets and can't comment on cryovac flats.)

Living in Chicago gives me more and better options for pork. It's unlikely I'll ever need to go to RD or Costco for pork.

Once you get access to the website you can print out the Restaurant Depot flyer. On it is the account number for KCBS that the cashiers can use to check you out. They might get picky and ask for your membership card (which KCBS sends through the mail) but that hasn't happened to me yet.

I signed up for KCBS partly to get access to RD, but I've been going to them for years, when I was in the food/bev industry, then as a tag along with friends with full membership.

I wouldn't say the beef is better than Costco. Maybe more selection, but the choice grade is about the same. RD has a lot of select grade I'd never touch and I don't recall ever buying prime at RD.

(Full disclosure: I only smoke full packer briskets and can't comment on cryovac flats.)

Living in Chicago gives me more and better options for pork. It's unlikely I'll ever need to go to RD or Costco for pork.

Cool, thanks!

Yeah I printed out a bunch of those flyers to throw in the glove box.

The Costcos around here never seem to have packer briskets at all. I'm not a member, but I pop in a couple times a year to check, figuring if I see them I'd be tempted to sign up. Only place I can find them is Wally World, and then only selects.

So (hopefully) getting access to choice briskets is worth it. I hope.

How does the selection compare to a place like Costco? My wife and I will typically store up on bulk items from Costco like American cheese, flats of bottled water, toilette paper, paper towels, etc...

Cool, thanks!

Yeah I printed out a bunch of those flyers to throw in the glove box.

The Costcos around here never seem to have packer briskets at all. I'm not a member, but I pop in a couple times a year to check, figuring if I see them I'd be tempted to sign up. Only place I can find them is Wally World, and then only selects.

So (hopefully) getting access to choice briskets is worth it. I hope.

RD is a trip. I'm sure you'll find other things there worth buying.

Bring a jacket!

One of my neighbors owns a food service business, and I reached out to him to get his opinion of RD. He said his business actually uses RD, but that he feels that his briskets are better. And then I came home to find that he dropped a RD membership card in my mailbox!!!

So I ran by the local RD on Wednesday after work; it's about three miles from my house. WOW!!! So it basically amounts to a giant warehouse full of giant portions of food items!!! LOL

And I learned quickly why ARCLITE said to bring a jacket! LOL

I am excited about the possibilities! I didn't buy anything the other day (I was hoping to find some stuff for a work cookout, but the specific cut of meat I was looking for wasn't something stocked). I fell in love with the cookwares section. I saw some things I need/want at very nice prices: food service knives, pizza peals, and woks!

I can't wait to go back because I want to investigate their frozen section to see if they stock a particular type of food. I want to see if RD stocks ROLLER GRILL FOOD!

I have a nice bar/movie theater/game room/lounge setup in my basement and I've been wanting to add a roller grill for college football get-togethers and for our yearly Super Bowl party. If RD sells forzen roller food, then I just might pull the trigger on a roller grill! :-D

I gave them my KCBS number and they gave me a fulltime fob for SLBS. Just as long as I get in...They have a wonderful seafood dept. there.

Back