THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time out:

Brisket and Tequila Shots at Midnight? That’s freak’n aggressive.

Time in.

for guys that do both do you do the same thing/fuels/processes for both?

At home i'm normally doing some form of a hybrid. Rarely is it full steps of a comp. Not all the trimming, wrapping, seasoning, etc. Adding in that layer of competition stuff is fun though. Definitely not for everyone, but if a person has an opportunity to do it even if just once, it really is fun. Doing it a lot can obviously diminish the fun :crazy:.

I like the layers that injections/slathers/sauces/dustings/sauces can add to the food. Gives a new dynamic and can help open eyes to possibilities of bbq. For some they might say "I'll never need to use comp bbq or cook comp bbq or it won't do anything for me", but again what it can do is open your eyes to new ideas that you could incorporate or give you new ways to think about bbq.

It's kind of like those that had to take certain classes back in school and would complain/say "when am I ever going to use calculus/chemistry/insert class in real life??" While that may be somewhat true, the act of taking those classes can teach things like general processes, expand you mind in general, learn how to problem solve, think outside the box, new concepts etc.

Maybe not a perfect analogy, but I know the comp stuff has made my home stuff even more fun and has given me a lot of options of things to try. Same for restaurant/catering biz. If you can give that a try it will also open your eyes to an entirely different type of bbq (but that's another topic :twitch:).

We don't compete as much since we've done about all my comp bucket list stuff though we still add in a bunch of the techniques and flavors we've learned on the home cooked stuff.

Back