Kalua pork belly

Beefer Sutherland

Found some matches.
Hey Everyone.

I am thinking of trying something new. I've got some family coming over for dinner and one them HATES all things spam and gives me grief for liking it. So, I've decided to make some homemade spam and serve her spam musubi. :biggrin1: Since this will start things in a Hawaiian theme, I wanted to try to keep the dinner loosely pan-asian themed. I was thinking about doing kalua pork belly served in momofuku bao buns.

My plan so far is to do a salt rub on the pork belly, wrap in banana leafs, and smoke for a couple hours. I want to keep the smoke flavor subtle and I am hoping the banana leafs aid in that effort. I'd then let the belly rest, slice into serving sizes, and finish it by braising it in a soy based liquid. After they're done, I'd hit them with a quick torch to get them nice and crispy. I will serve it with quick pickled japanese cucumbers to provide some acidity to cut the fat.

I'm hoping by mixing smoking with braising I can get a subtle smoke and sweetness from braising liquid. My goal is to have something kinda like Gua Bao.

I'd love to get input from the brethren, since this is something I'm kinda winging it on.

You might be applying the Kalua to the wrong belly...
If you were to apply it to her belly she may get tipsy enough to not complain.

Better get two bottles.
Good luck with her.:rolleyes:

Back