ISO: Hot & Fast Brisket Opinions

Kiss.............

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

I never cook low and slow anymore and cook at 275 to 325 degrees and can never tell a difference and never have a stall either. Just watch your temps if you are going to wrap and it will come out awesome.

I still tend to 'low and slow' because I pellet. But one thing I seem to recall reading is that the carryover temps from 'hot and fast' are much greater. So like what was mentioned above, if you are going to wrap and rest, you need to allow more time for the temps to start to drop, since it's still on a stronger path upwards.

275 degrees isn't really "Hot and Fast." It's a good place to start though; especially with briskets or short ribs.

But since you asked, a brisket cooked more slowly has a different flavor than one cooked much hotter. Briskets cooked slower/longer have a slightly "sweeter," more complex quality to the smoke (even when using oak/pecan/almond). That quality seems to diminish and change slighlty the hotter you cook. Briskets cooked really hot on a drum or WSM (with no deflector/pan) can take on what can best be described as a slightly "grilled" character. This is to say, both temperature and the type of cooker can affect the flavor profile (along with the type of wood you use).

If I'm cooking for guests (serving brisket), I'll cook the brisket much slower (250-300 range). However, if the intent is chopped, sauced, or incorporated into another dish (enchiladas, tacos, chili, etc.) then I let 'er rip.

The fastest full packer (12-14lb) I've ever done from start to finish was 3:37 (from the time it hit the pit (including time to wrap) to when I pulled it off to vent the foil and rest). That rocket fast brisket was really good (and perfectly tender). Nowhere near as complex as a 15 hour brisket, but I lit the pit after my second cup of coffee and was eating brisket at lunchtime.

I felt like Cool Hand Luke at the end of the "Tar Sequence."

Thanks all. I have seen so many professions on tv shows say "5-6 hours" that I started to wonder why i am putting in so much time.

I'm going to try it after my loan is approved for my next brisket purchase.

I've cooked them up to 325°F. They come out fine. Just be aware they may finish at a higher temp than cooking at lower temps. Don't be worried just cook til they probe tender like usual.

Thanks all. I have seen so many professions on tv shows say "5-6 hours" that I started to wonder why i am putting in so much time.

I'm going to try it after my loan is approved for my next brisket purchase.
888a978cc98de4056bf37b25f7328766.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I just did my 1st hot/fast brisket on Sunday. Cooked on a WSM 22. I pulled the water pan out and cooked it direct on the top rack.

Hit the grate at 7:45AM. Wrapped in butcher paper at 165. Probed tender at 2:30, and temp of 204.

3 hour rest in a cooler with towels in the BP. I did vent it for 20 mins prior to resting.

Best brisket I’ve ever made. I’m a convert.

One question for the pros: do you drain any liquid from the BP prior to resting. I did not, but for whatever reason, this particular wrap/brisket had a LOT of liquid in the paper.

Just curious what everyone does in the scenario. My assumption was the liquid helps to prevent drying out and helps to get a moist brisket.

This one had a pretty good fat cap on it. So I rested it cap down and didn’t have to worry about mushy meat…which was a concern of mine with all the liquid.

Last edited:
Last one I did was 325 or 350. Turned out great! Everyone said it was good.

Last edited:
Back