THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuoms

Found some matches.
So I made a mistake and probed my brisket too soon. I probed it at 9:15pm or so, let it sit on the counter till about 10:30 before I threw it on the pellet smoker. Let it smoke on the ‘smoke’ setting for close to 2 hours (12:15) then set it at 250.

At about 1:45, it was at 130. So that was 4.5 hours between 40-140. I predict it hit 140 around 3am or so (6 hours)

I never used to even think about the 40-140 with a prob rule because I figured if you’re taking it to 195-200, all good? And I’ve never gotten sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For as long as I can remember (and I'm 52), my dad has rubbed a brisket and left it on the kitchen counter, covered with foil, for every bit of 24 hours before putting it on the smoker. I'm not recommending that action, but there have been no ill effects reported from that practice.

As long as its a solid muscle, and the smoker temp was above 140F your fine.Doesn't matter how long it takes to get above 140 IT(which is a generic overly safe temp the FDA used)

But I stuck a temp probe in it and penetrated the meat, thus introducing potential bacteria into the muscle. I think it’ll probably be fine. I searched and couldnt find anybody claiming they got food poisoning from a smoked brisket. Im pretty sure I used to do it like that all time and never even thought about it.

You are absolutely fine. The chance that there was any bacteria in that one spot is very rare. You're taking the temp up over 140 internal and it will be above that temp for more than enough time to kill any bacteria.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You are absolutely fine. The chance that there was any bacteria in that one spot is very rare. You're taking the temp up over 240 internal and it will be above that temp for more than enough time to kill any bacteria.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I agree with this answer.

So I made a mistake and probed my brisket too soon. I probed it at 9:15pm or so, let it sit on the counter till about 10:30 before I threw it on the pellet smoker. Let it smoke on the ‘smoke’ setting for close to 2 hours (12:15) then set it at 250.

At about 1:45, it was at 130. So that was 4.5 hours between 40-140. I predict it hit 140 around 3am or so (6 hours)

I never used to even think about the 40-140 with a prob rule because I figured if you’re taking it to 195-200, all good? And I’ve never gotten sick.

It continued to cook, (getting hotter not colder) so you are fine. Food Borne Bacteria begins on the outside, you said the smoker was at 250, hot enough to destroy any surface bacteria.

If you have any reservations eating it, just let it finish and send it this way. Ill take the hit. :) You are all good.

I've never heard of probing too soon. Makes sense, I guess.

But I agree that you're okay anyways, given the cooking that happened later.

Back