Is Anyone Setting Up Backyard BBQ Events Differently?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
We're not caterers and we do not charge and no money is made.... But a few regular cooks like myself will be helping out two groups that are setting up a friends & family type of BBQ, with maybe 50 people, and a second group (customer appreciation) with the potential of 200 people during the course of the day. My state has no 'COVID Mandates' in effect, but we're trying to be mindful that 2020 did cause some people to develop new habits regarding food safety. This might the first event that some guests are attending since the mask mandate was dropped. A lot of guests will be 60+, and there will be a lot of kids as well. Both events will have a buffet line of sorts, (service is from electric roasters) with dedicated meat cutters at the end of the line. Salads and such are in iced bus trays. Beer, water and soda are all self serve from a row of coolers. All cups, plates and utensils are disposable. We all have very safe sanitization habits, but we just want to reduce any doubts that some may have.

On the list of things under consideration to change are;

• More port-a-potties
  • More hand washing stations with sanitizer
  • Tongs where we did not use tongs before (for example: handling buns, cookies and other desserts.
  • Wider spacing at the long cafeteria style tables, and more tables than before
  • More trash cans
  • Some 5 seat tables so a family can sit together
  • A couple of extra helpers for the beer coolers and general clean-up

We were at a wedding about a month ago. It was catered in a hall. Guests had no requirement for masks but, the carters all wore masks. They set it up buffet style however you were served by staff which I liked. In general, it's just a much more sanitary way of getting food. Boy was it nice to feel a bit of normalcy

I went to a buffet for Mother’s Day and they had plastic disposable gloves at the start of the line you could put on your spoonin’ hand. Buffet utensils have always kind of grossed me out because I know how people are, but then again, not much different from the door handle used to enter the place. Gloves for buffet spoons seemed reasonable but people have always been gross so the glove on your spooning hand thing is something I wouldn’t mind persisting as available in public venues after this particular situation has passed. People can’t seem to keep their booger hook out of their nose, ear, mouth, or who knows what else *shrug*

Last edited:
Our family events haven't changed. They were all freaked initially, but by last May we were getting together and you'd see 3 people sitting on a loveseat (2 of which were nurses...)

There are a few that skipped events, an older brother in law with health issues, etc. But it was basically known that if you are there-it's 2018 style.

We are all vaccinated in my family, including our 13 year old son. When we do family picnics, people are welcome to not wear masks at their own risk if they are not vaccinated, but we encourage them to wear them if they are not for their own safety.

And before anyone craps on the fact our 13 year old got vaccinated, it was his choice, and its going to be required next year to go back to school.

And before anyone craps on the fact our 13 year old got vaccinated, it was his choice, and its going to be required next year to go back to school.

an inalienable right of choice each must bear

Last edited by a moderator:
an inalienable right of choice each must bear

Interesting how you tried to quote me, but failed. If its any concern to you, my son has adhd and ocd, he has been freaked out by covid for almost 2 years. The kid is finally happy he can go back to a normal life now that he feels safe. Who am i to deny that to him?

Interesting how you tried to quote me, but failed. If its any concern to you, my son has adhd and ocd, he has been freaked out by covid for almost 2 years. The kid is finally happy he can go back to a normal life now that he feels safe. Who am i to deny that to him?

Lighten up, Francis. He wasn't attacking you or your son.

Back on topic, same as always here. Mask, no mask, whatever floats your boat.

Vaccinated, not vaccinated? Matters not to me.

Show up, don't show up. Your choice.

Lighten up, Francis. He wasn't attacking you or your son.

Back on topic, same as always here. Mask, no mask, whatever floats your boat.

Vaccinated, not vaccinated? Matters not to me.

Show up, don't show up. Your choice.

This is my sentiment exactly. If you are living in fear about this simply don't come.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I took that comment to be made in support of your son's decision.....

We have a friends and family BBQ / rib competition every August and 2020 was no exception.

Nobody had masks and nobody was inoculated. Our choice.

We partied like it was 1999!

Doing it again this year. Some may have taken a shot - Their choice.

We all have choices and should respect each other.

Don't know about catering, but it is very responsible of you to be thinking about it. I still wear a mask in some situations, not for myself but the comfort of others.

But it sure is nice to be able to safely have several friends over for dinner on the deck these days.

Our backyard celebration for the 4th will be different. The 26” with Vortex and the 22” rotisserie will be moved to the front yard. Traffic cones will be in place to divert the unsociable neighbors around the feeding tables as they pass. Ringo, Reagan and Remy will be required to drink beer from their own bowls and pee in their own yards…… they’re dogs. Their masters must follow the same rule. The “5 second rule” has been extended to 15. All attendees are advised to take a proper bath the day before. Since it’s Sunday there will be no cursing, gossip, or disparaging of our political leaders until………scratch that. And the #1 rule for our 4th of July block party is, eat, drink, have fun and be grateful that we live in the greatest country on Earth. Have fun everybody and be safe as well.

I cooked the meat for a wedding last weekend. 100 lbs of pork butt and 80 lbs chicken thighs. There were about 100 guests. Not a single mask or social distancing in sight. Food was served in a buffet....old fashioned style.

I made way more meat than I figured I needed. Gave a lot away to the guests as take home bags.

Why would you make 180 pounds of meat for 100 people?

My Meadow Creek BBQ 42 cooks 40 lbs at a time (about 80 thighs) so I figured everyone would eat at least one thigh and there was 100 people present. So I made two batches.

I figured 100 lbs raw pork (@ 50% yield) would give me 50 lbs cooked meat and everyone would eat at least (1) 1/2 lb sammie.

There was so many appetizers/side dishes/trays of lots of stuff/deserts...it was ridiculous.

This was the first big cook I did. I am comfortable with 40 people or so. I would have felt terrible to underestimate quantities. At the end, I could have cut it in half and still been OK.

I'm a backyard party guy...not a caterer. I did this as a favor to the bride's parents. No more big cooks...it was a lot of work. T

We are all vaccinated in my family, including our 13 year old son. When we do family picnics, people are welcome to not wear masks at their own risk if they are not vaccinated, but we encourage them to wear them if they are not for their own safety.

I thought them wearing masks was so they didn’t infect you?

What good does a mask do them?

I cooked the meat for a wedding last weekend. 100 lbs of pork butt and 80 lbs chicken thighs. There were about 100 guests. Not a single mask or social distancing in sight. Food was served in a buffet....old fashioned style.

I made way more meat than I figured I needed. Gave a lot away to the guests as take home bags.

Why would you make 180 pounds of meat for 100 people?

I fixed the broken quote since it bothers you that much :-D

I made no comment on your decision. None of my business. I was expressing support for you and your sons right to make that decision without apology or justification.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Sounds like it worked out well for you and your family. Good to hear!

Back