Is a used Texas Original Pit (Pearsall) worth $750?

Do you mainly cook in the vertical side because of the ease of keeping it at 250? Or is there another reason you don't prefer the main chamber? I've never even shopped for a stickburner with the vertical chamber because I thought it was more than I needed, and would force me to use twice the fuel to keep the monstrosity heated when all I need is the main chamber. Should I think of the vertical chamber more positively? Thank you for your post, it was very helpful!

I guess it's because my "fire management" skills aren't up to the task of keeping a 16" offset stable in the temperature department. The heat plate helps a bit, but there are still swings in temperature. By the time the heat gets all the way to the vertical part, though, the variations are evened out. Easier to keep the vertical temperature stable I guess.

That is crazy! Where in the world did you win yours? Was this just a Minnesota promotion? I just moved here and have never heard of Shiner Beer. He told me he won it but I didn't ask further details.

Just some online sweepstakes I entered. I think it was national. I looked up Shiner Bock smoker and it looks like they do the contest every year. I think Shiner Bock is popular in Texas.

Folks,

I owned the 16 inch Pearsall before I got my Lang a number of moons ago.

For the price, it’s a decent cooker. I learned the ropes burning sticks on it.

It’s the rig that showed me how stuck burning has such an awesome flavor that’s hard to beat. We had a vegan friend of our family who ate the ribs and asked for some to go home with. It’s when I realized that wood fire and the Pearsall were a good combo.

I do agree that the 16 inch had to be babysat A LOT. We are talking checking every 20 min. It’s what tipped me to reverse flow which buys 40 min stable temp per stick. If you’re without kids (wife is annoyed by too much fire tending), it’s a good cooker and a very attractive price point

Physics question - it looks to me like the bulk of the weight is to the left, and leveraged right on top of the wheels. Any problems with tipping? I can imagine that would be possible if you really loaded up the vertical.

Physics question - it looks to me like the bulk of the weight is to the left, and leveraged right on top of the wheels. Any problems with tipping? I can imagine that would be possible if you really loaded up the vertical.
It is pretty well-balaced so a person can lift from the firebox end and wheel it around on a flat, even surface, but it still weighs a quarter of a ton. I have had two 15-lb turkeys in the vertical, if I really wanted to I could add a third for a total of 45 lbs. That's not going to tip it. I think "moment arm" is the physics term, and it is much longer from the firebox lift handle. Leverage or something too.

It is pretty well-balaced so a person can lift from the firebox end and wheel it around on a flat, even surface, but it still weighs a quarter of a ton. I have had two 15-lb turkeys in the vertical, if I really wanted to I could add a third for a total of 45 lbs. That's not going to tip it. I think "moment arm" is the physics term, and it is much longer from the firebox lift handle. Leverage or something too.

It is amazingly stable. Just picked it up today and there is no way this puppy is ever tipping over. Even when you lift the handle to roll it, which is located on the firebox end, it doesn't give the slightest indication of tipping towards the vertical stack. Matter of fact the firebox is heavy enough that it still takes a good bit of effort to lift that end, even with the vertical unit opposite.

Pearsall: Acquired!

Happy to report I rented a Uhaul, grabbed my 6'5" 250 pound buddy, and headed over to the good ole' boy's house who was sellin it. Rolled that monstrosity up the ramp givin it all we had, and drove er home. The task was complicated by the snow here in Minnesota, and the slipperiness it added to an already arduous task. But we made er! FYI: Uhaul ramps are exactly wide enough for Pearsall wheels. Not an inch to spare between the ramp's siderails.

Of course, forgot my straps in my car at the Uhaul dealer. But you know what kind of dudes the BBQ Brethren are. He gave me two straps of his own, and then threw in some lump charcoal and wood chunks. What a guy. Pleasure to do business with. I almost felt bad as I drove away, knowing how much he loved that smoker and that his wife wanted him to get rid of it for space and lack of use. But I'll gladly take this treasure off his hands and get smokin!

And the biggest reason I moved forward on it was the combined knowledge and input you all offered this week. Much appreciated, and a big old hat tip to all of yuz!

Last edited:
If you're not a member at Sam's or Costco you can check Restaurant Depot in Brooklyn Center. I believe it's the only location in the nation that doesn't require a membership because of a city statue. St. Paul location will. A mecca of meat if you haven't been!

If you're not a member at Sam's or Costco you can check Restaurant Depot in Brooklyn Center. I believe it's the only location in the nation that doesn't require a membership because of a city statue. St. Paul location will. A mecca of meat if you haven't been!

Never heard of it and will def check it out! Thank you.

Congrats on the new2u cooker! Sounds like it found a great new home. I saw the CL listing as well - love to hear it’s going to get some love.

Congrats on the new2u cooker! Sounds like it found a great new home. I saw the CL listing as well - love to hear it’s going to get some love.

Thanks very much! I think the old owner felt the same way. He was so nice to me and really went above and beyond during the process. Being new to the Cities, it's nice to know there's a good little group of true blue BBQ dudes here. Looking forward to firing it up!

Being new to the Cities, it's nice to know there's a good little group of true blue BBQ dudes here. Looking forward to firing it up!

If you're not too far from Minnetonka make sure to check out Quetopia. It's a bbq shop with smokers, accessories, bbq sauces, and rubs. All kinds of bbq sauces and rubs that aren't available locally. Check their website for hours and days when they are open. Worth a stop anyways

When I had my pearsall, I bought an extra stainless steel shelf from bbqsmokermods.com because my version only had one cooking grate. I also gasketed the upright because there was a gap between latch area of upright door.

Other mods included a small piece of expanded metal to lay on top of the fire grate in the firebox. I kept finding my coal bed kept falling through stock grate. A finer mesh of expanded worked like a charm

Back