Contest Results Iowa State BBQ Championship,

Im going to vent! normally im like a duck water rolls off my back but hit the floor looking at my cover sheet every f***ing year for some reason the judging is suspect i didnt even walk up to the awards it seems the marshalltown judges are the same crowd looking for something. there is no way i had 50+ ribs and pork no effen way i have no problem telling you if i effed up but i did not each year i look at my scores from this contest and shake my head. I took one look at the cover sheet and knew same ole marshalltown so im stating here today that the Iowa state bbq championship will never and i mean never see my ass again at this contest i dont care if it went up to a 100,000 dollar contest you wont see big moe there take care brethern.

I felt the same way when I looked at our scores, Moe! Was everything that I turned it perfect? No. But none of it was as bad as the judges made it seem. I mentioned above that in every category we had four good scores, and two that were bad. That dragged us down across the board.

I hope that you change your mind and come back! I completely forgot about trying you cheesesteak :-D

Speaking of coffee, I didn't make it back over to Ron's to buy some. I thought about it about 1/2 way home.

Great times - hope to see everyone in Mason City.

You weren't alone. Two or three others were going to come back and never made it. We all get busy.

For those who are coming to Shannon, we'll have bags of coffee available there, too.

Good luck in Mason City!

You weren't alone. Two or three others were going to come back and never made it. We all get busy.

For those who are coming to Shannon, we'll have bags of coffee available there, too.

Good luck in Mason City!

I'll catch you there. It was just too hot to go walking around!

in every category we had four good scores, and two that were bad. That dragged us down across the board.

Ditto here on chicken, ribs and pork. I haven't seen that before, but I am sure it has happened. You haven't missed with pork yet this year Ron, and suddenly you're middle of the pack?:crazy: That is the nature of this sport of ours I guess...

Either way, congrats to all the brethren who heard their name called!

Last edited:
You haven't missed with pork yet this year Ron, and suddenly you're middle of the pack?:crazy: That is the nature of this sport of ours I guess...

We resemble that remark too - our pork didn't fair well either even though it looked, tasted and felt like all other pork turn ins we've done the last few years.

In reality though, I guess we all can't finish in the top 10 regardless if it's good or not.

I thought the judging was great for a change:roll::twisted::tape: I am seriousness our scoresheets have been that way all year, even in M-town. 4-5 great and 1-2 average or less. Obviously we had more 5 greats this weekend than in Ottumwa, but still the same trend. I guess I'm not sure how the reps can impact this Rod, interested on your thoughts on it

I thought the judging was great for a change:roll::twisted::tape: I am seriousness our scoresheets have been that way all year, even in M-town. 4-5 great and 1-2 average or less. Obviously we had more 5 greats this weekend than in Ottumwa, but still the same trend. I guess I'm not sure how the reps can impact this Rod, interested on your thoughts on it
You have six judges at a table and chicken goes first. Judge 1 gives all 6's and the rest all 8 and 9. Whether it be the table captain or reps need to be aware of that. That judge may have thought it was just average to them. But the others see it different. So if this trend goes on to the other three categories then it can pull down a team because the judge sees average as a 5 or 6. Granted, maybe it was bad and deserved a 6. But you need to at least find out why they scored 3 points lower.

I had a rep who did a contest last week tell me about their experience and they had a judge giving 5's for chicken because it didn't wow them. Lowest score from others was 8. At least he should have been dishing out a 7 as average. But the rep caught this before they went on to ribs.

I think that is where a good rep and/or table captains need to keep focus during judging. Maybe that happened in Mtown. Maybe it didn't.

I did have some weird scores too. I had 667 on my chicken. Rest of appearance was 8 and 9.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Well welcome to a taste of our world that past contests. Other than some adjustments that need to be made to the chicken and brisket, I was feeling good about what we had done but I guess the judges were'nt up to snuff. :mad:
I just hope we get the same judges agian this year. :pray:

You have six judges at a table and chicken goes first. Judge 1 gives all 6's and the rest all 8 and 9. Whether it be the table captain or reps need to be aware of that. That judge may have thought it was just average to them. But the others see it different. So if this trend goes on to the other three categories then it can pull down a team because the judge sees average as a 5 or 6. Granted, maybe it was bad and deserved a 6. But you need to at least find out why they scored 3 points lower.

I had a rep who did a contest last week tell me about their experience and they had a judge giving 5's for chicken because it didn't wow them. Lowest score from others was 8. At least he should have been dishing out a 7 as average. But the rep caught this before they went on to ribs.

I think that is where a good rep and/or table captains need to keep focus during judging. Maybe that happened in Mtown. Maybe it didn't.

I did have some weird scores too. I had 667 on my chicken. Rest of appearance was 8 and 9.

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation

Sorry Moe, I always feel bad when someone gets hooked at a contest. Rest assured that if something came up that I thought was out of place I will speak up to the rep.
Obviously I don't see what the other judges write down (I don't peek at the urinal either!!) but during table talk if someone were to say something stupid (I don't like chicken legs) I would speak up.
At my table there were one 1st timer and 2 second timers I made it my business to talk to them and ask if they had any questions about anything beforehand and during table talk asked how it was going and listened for out of place chatter.
I never got a feeling that our table was doing anything out of the norm.
Thats the best I can do for you guys....
Ed

Well I finally got a couple of calls at Mtown this year.
In the past 2 years the judges hated our food there. That's the life I guess.
I was happy with our end products of ribs pork and brisket, chicken was just so-so.
I was suprised by our 50+ finish in the pork.
But I'll settle for the 2nd in Brisket any time.
Moe, that's exactly how I felt about Valley Junction! I know your pain!

Back