Introduction and Char Siu Pr0n

N

NC Yank

Hello Farkers! This is my introductory post. After a couple of months of lurking, I've decided to make my first comments. I've already learned a lot from this forum, and in direct response to recommendations from this board, I've purchased a 18.5" WSM, and hopefully soon a 22.5" weber one touch gold to go along with a Weber Genesis gasser and the mountain of Kingsford I bought from HD thanks to you guys. Grilling is contagious!

About me: I'm originally from Massachusetts, with pitstops in Nova Scotia - Canada, and tours of duty in the Air Force in Montana and Turkey. I currently reside in the BBQ country of Raleigh, NC. As a result, my palate is open to say the least. I enjoy Asian food of all types, Mediterranean cuisine including lamb, and little known Nova Scotian cuisine such as Rappie Pie and other Acadian food.

Since getting the WSM, I've made a couple of pork butts, ez pastrami and some ribs, and all were initially learning experiences. The butts were based on Chris Lilly's injection recipe, which came out a little too sweet for my liking. The ribs came out too salty, since I believe I ended up buying some "enhanced" ribs, then salted a bit too much on top of that. I ended up making a rib/lentil soup out of them that came out great though. Adapt and overcome. The ez pastrami came out very well.

I've since upgraded my arsenal of rubs, to include the delicious SM Cherry, and Plowboy's excellent Yardbird and Bovine Bold rubs.

Subsequent attempts with St. Louis style ribs came out excellent.

I've tried Blues Hog original, and must say it is rather tasty, although sweet, but great when used sparingly as a glaze. Got some Tennessee Red but haven't tried it yet.

All excellent recommendations I got from this site. I feel much more confident as a BBQ'er after learning tips here.

I hope to aspire to Farkin' BBQ Greatness!

Here are some pr0n pics from today's pre-hockey game grill. I decided to go with Char Siu, since both butts and country ribs were on sale. I stashed the butts in the freezer and used the country ribs for the Char Siu.

Using a modified recipe that I found on here of http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=787628&catid=1 with the addition of 1/3 cup hoisin sauce, and a substitute of dry sherry for the rice wine, and a cooking method of http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116324

Oddly enough, although the recipe called for 4 pounds of pork, which is exactly what I had, it seemed to make literally double the amount of marinade that I thought I'd need. I could have marinaded 10 pounds of pork with that amount of marinade.

During the cook, I brushed it with a 50/50 mixture of leftover marinade and honey every 15-20 minutes for 50-60 minutes at 300-325, then stopped marinading and cranked it up to about 400 for another 15-20 minutes.

When I pulled it, it had an IT of about 180 and was a bit charred. Let it rest for 10 minutes then tried it. Wasn't sweet enough, which surprised me after marinating it for 24 hours, so I hit it with some more honey after it came out. Made it much better. Think I should have included honey or maltose in the marinade, and rice or rose wine as well.

Will look to concentrate the marinade flavors next time.

Looking forward to the adventure of sharing good food and fun with you guys and gals. Thought that I had adventurous taste buds until I saw such posts as pulled coon, horse, cow head, etc.

Keep it up, you've got me hooked!

NC Yank
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116324

Attachments

• IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG0215.jpg
    IMAG0215.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 163
Welcome to the best BBQ forum in the multiverse!

Great looking food for sure, and nice choice of beer!

Sounds like you lurked long enough to become hooked it is a great obsession and this is the best BBQ forum on the web... Welcome and Smoke on Brother!!:thumb:

Welcome, that is an excellent cook. Yes, maltose is often used in Chinese foods to add sweetness.

And welcome to NC! There are more NC Yanks than you think. In fact, more than NC Rednecks these days. Go Canes!

Welcome brother, you speak the truth. There is more that can be learned here than a hundred other places combined. Can't wait to see more of your cooks. I see you brought some beer back with you from Canada. :)

Welcome!

picture.php

Back