Inaugural burn off

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
Picked up the Yoder YS640S today from Indigo pools, put it together, and got it in the back patio. Burn off is happening as we speak. I’m 30 minutes into the burn off and thought I’d share some insight into it as it compares to the MAK. For reference, I’m using the crappy pellets from Sams (last little bit). I used the same pellets in the MAK as well for the last month or so. First thing, assembly instructions were easy to read and follow, but dumb when it comes to mounting the grill on the cart. They have you put all the bolts in hand tight, just to remove the 8 top ones to put the grill on. They should have made you put the 8 bottom ones in hand tight, then mount the cart to the grill, and put the last 8 bolts in. Tighten everything down. Not the end of the world, just an extra step that could be avoided. Operation is as easy as MAK. Temperature is all over the place. Burning in at 350 per Yoder. I’ve seen it read as high as 369 and low as 336. Within my tolerances, but not even close to the tight MAK tolerance. Maybe it’s the cheap pellets or maybe it’s designed that way, don’t know. MAK eats those cheap pellets up perfectly, though. We’ll see as time marches along. The grill grates I already have fit perfectly in the Yoder. Win for me! I wasn’t a fan that the body was spot welded and sealed. Would have preferred a solid weld, but if it lasts for the 10 year warranty period, I’ll take it. I prefer the MAK 4 swivel casters compared to the 2 swivel and 2 stationary. Emptying the fire pot in both are easy, but Yoder wins here with their trap door. MAK, you have to remove grates, covers, flame zone diffuser, and heat diffuser to get to the fire pot. Yoder, you just slide two grates over to the side, open the trap door and the fire pot is right there. I haven’t timed the start up to temp time on either yet or the cool down time, but will in the future. I like how the Yoder grates are running front to back. I honestly don’t like how MAK has their flame zone holes, cover, and grates running side to side. If using the top shelf, it makes getting to the back cover and grate difficult. I like the grease drawer in the MAK better than the solid hole opening in the Yoder. I also like the ash trap door in the MAK. Cleaning the ash from the Yoder will require a shop vacuum. This isn’t meant to be an in depth review or which pit I like better, but just my initial thoughts on how one compares to the other. As I use the Yoder more and cook on it, my thoughts might change.

Last edited:
I had a YS640 for about 18 months and it was a tank. I just sold it this past weekend to my best friend as his gateway to BBQ. I didn’t run it a lot, but I had plenty of cooks on it, including a 24hr straight cook with multiple temps. I never had any issues with it, and it turned out great food. It really likes lumber Jack pellets FYI.

Thanks for the initial review. On my visit to St Louis Barbecue today to pick up some pellets I checked out ther Yoder 640 smoker and it is indeed a beast. The lid is super heavy and you can tell the overall build is of high quality. Enjoy and keep us posted on the performance!

Yeah the yoder will never have a right temp range. It’s not designed that way and you will drive yourself crazy tracking the temps. just set it to whatever temp you want and let it do it’s thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice cooking arsenal ya have! Look forward to seeing and hearing more as you put some miles on the Yoder :)

Thanks all. The pellets are great for work day week cooks. The Assassin is a day off weekend cooker. It takes a little time for it to come up to temp. Once it’s there though, it rock solid. It’s definitely my favorite. But the wife really seems to like the Yoder. She said she can’t wait to use it.

Nice write up and really looking forward to some comparison cooks and further evaluations. Oh congrats on getting every straightened out

Congratulations on the new addition to your lineup of cookers.

Back