Imperial kamado restore

Megan

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hey all, I'm new to the BGE world.... I just bought a used, small BGE last week. After realizing the simplicity of it, I decided to restore a family "heirloom" (it was actually decor for my eccentric grandparents home and housed many magazines and newspapers🤦🏻*♀️).... likely an early 70s kamado joe (imperial?). The measurements nearly match a large BGE. It is completely stripped down to the shell only.

So.... here's the labor and my questions/concerns:
- I will have my hands on the firebox and ring next week. Fingers crossed that it works. The inner base diameter is 12.5" and where the fire ring would sit is 18".
- I'll need to get my hands on a lower draft door but there doesn't appear to have any current holes to screw in a new one. Would you guys silicone it in place, use high heat glue, or just break out a masonry bit (that makes me nervous!). It does have a "plug" for a door at the moment.
- I'll need to find a top damper, there is not one at all. The outside to outside diameter is 5 1/4". I may be able to get my hands on a used (not full price) KJ daisy wheel but I'm concerned that it may be too wide (6 5/8" was the measurement that was given, outer diameter not inner). Would the felt pad/gasket be enough to absorb this difference?
- I'll need to put on a new gasket. Any recommendations/favorites? They seem comparable in price/quality.
- I'll need a new fire grate/top grate.
- I could one day see retrofitting the ring for spring assist (probably sooner than later). The current hardware looks great without any rust. Could I get the spare the current hardware and just add the spring assist (I don't fully understand what goes into this, so that may be a ridiculous question).
- finally, there is a small chip in it (see picture). Should I/how would I repair it?

I think this about covers it. Any chiming in would be appreciated on any of the above dilemmas. My goal is to make it functional, not to necessarily restore it to its original shape/look.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpg
    IMG_7453.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7458.jpg
    IMG_7458.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7455.jpg
    IMG_7455.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_7459.jpg
    IMG_7459.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7457.jpg
    IMG_7457.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 109
Welcome. I have the same Kamado with BGE internal parts. I also have the plug for the air intake. I used to just use a wooden shim to prop the plug just open enough to control air flow for low/slow cooks. Now I just use a piece of cardboard wrapped in HD foil to plug and control the lower airflow.

Welocme Megan, nice looking kamado. Please post photos once the restoration is complete as most of us neanderthals can't read and photos are a must. Also watch your purse strings, this place will help you spend money faster than **** through a goose.

Back