^^Ideas for a new hog cooker^^

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Brethren,

I have a group of friends that get together 2-3 times a year to cook a whole hog. I learned how to cook them on cinder blocks. I stack them like this:
picture.php

and then add a grate and top them with a piece of plywood. It works very well.
picture.php

This is a very economical way to cook a pig. I have 42 cinder blocks that cost about $1.50 each and a grate that I paid $60 to have welded up. The problem is that we keep holding our parties at different people's houses. It is a lot of work to load up 42 cinder blocks, then move, stack, cook, and pick up again.

I am thinking of trying to design something more portable without spending too much cash. My current thought is to have a 2' x 4' bottom tray made out of 3/8" steel and framed with 2" angle iron. Then have sides made that can be bolted to the angle iron on the tray and vertical angle iron corners that bolt on as well. I'd need an access door and some side vents to control airflow. I'd add a charcoal/log rack inside. I would suspend the cooking grate inside and either have a lightweight metal or plywood top.

Now I realize that this setup would not be as insulated as the blocks, but I am hoping that it would be more portable and storable.

I'd welcome any thoughts, feedback, ideas, or ridicule on this setup.

David
The Swine Specator

Bout all I can think of is constructing the walls using aluminum studs and some type of sheet metal. You could then actually put insulation between the sheets of metal. Portable and lightweight walls. You fashion either hooks or some type of flange on the inside to hold up the grate. Seems like more trouble though.

I'd spend the money on a small trailer where I can leave the blocks loaded up at all times and just hook it up and haul it to the next house.

I'd spend the money on a small trailer where I can leave the blocks loaded up at all times and just hook it up and haul it to the next house.
I was thinking the same thing. And if your buddies want to do it at their place and force you to move it around, let them pitch in on the trailer.

Back