I LOVE when a grocery trip goes well!! With random pRoN

lantern

is One Chatty Farker
Just got back from Harris Teeter in Asheville and I'm a happy BBQ man.:grin:

16874808495_80fbaec9aa_z.jpg

This is chicken leg quarters at $.49/lb, chuck roast at $3.49/lb, silk milks with coupon 2/$5, ez peel shrimp at $6.99/lb annnnd smithfield natural pork butts at $1.29/lb!! Grand total $75 and some change out the door!! Whoop whoop!!

BTW, if she finds out I laid this out on the table I'm in big trouble....so SHHHH!!:heh::heh:

Also, since I didn't wanna just post a groceries pic here's some breakfast and some lunch from this past week.

The first is a sauteed mushroom omelet with sharp cheddar. BTW, sprinkled some death dust on the shrooms at the last bit of the saute.....farking good!!

16873802611_556cc7e26e_z.jpg

And lastly some jerk pork loin inspired by the several jerk threads lately. I butterflied half a loin and cut some slits in a crosshatch pattern on both sides then laid the walkerswood jerk seasoning and garlic infused olive oil to it. I rolled it up and vacuum sealed it overnight. The next day as the grill was heating up I took the meat out and began to brush on some vinegar to each side letting it soak in and repeating till the fire was ready. Then onto a medium heat weber performer with grillgrates.
16687188718_dab40a32e0_z.jpg

Hope y'all enjoyed the pics!

If you're looking for the butts be sure to call ahead. The guy in the meat dept said something about getting too many and having to get rid of them so I'm not sure if the pork butt deal was at all the store or not, but I know all the others are!:grin:

Color me ignorant.....but do you cook with Almond and/or Coconut milk, or are you trying to be healthy? (I only ask cuz I've never tried Silk (or anything other than milk) with my cheerios, or as a dredge)
Chicken looks great, btw.

Chris, you sure do have good luck with that HT. I'll be glad when the one here in Greenville gets built. All they do is talk about it.

Color me ignorant.....but do you cook with Almond and/or Coconut milk, or are you trying to be healthy? (I only ask cuz I've never tried Silk (or anything other than milk) with my cheerios, or as a dredge)
Chicken looks great, btw.

LOL!! It's jerk pork.:heh::heh:

Anyway, with this particular haul the Almond/coconut milk is for her and it is just to drink and cereal. But, the unsweetened CASHEW milk is for me and it is to drink, eat with cereal and to use in taters, soups and so forth alllllll while having only 25 calories a cup! Now, I also have lots of coconut milk that I really like to drink and use in Indian and Thai curries and soups A LOT!

So the answer is that we are trying to be healthy annnd I'm lactose intolerant and I REALLY like the flavors these "milks" bring to the table when cooking.

I think everybody should try the unsweetened or sweetened version of cashew milk. It's not strangely thick like almond milk and doesn't have a pronounced flavor like coconut milk to get in the way of whatever you're mixing it with. And at 25 calories per serving for the unsweetened it's a fairly good combo.

I will say there is an obvious difference in the taste of cashew milk in your cereal compared to whole milk. But, compared to SKIM milk I'll take cashew milk in sweetened or unsweetened form all day. I hate skim milk. LOL

Chris, you sure do have good luck with that HT. I'll be glad when the one here in Greenville gets built. All they do is talk about it.

I really do love me some HT. Each wednesday I actually look forward to their flyer in my email so I can plan my Friday MEAT grocery run. They also have some pretty slick hot meals at this one. Fridays they have a prime rib dinner with baked potato and another side for 9.99 and a whole lobster dinner on Saturday for the same price! If you don't feel good you can call an order in and they'll have it for you curbside. Adding that there's a Trader Joes right beside it and I do enjoy grocery shopping more than I should. :oops: Speaking of Trader Joes I've just discovered that they have a Trader Joes brand turkish honey that's so delicious I like it better than our homemade sourwood honey! It tastes just like a regular honey but there's almost a molasses finish at the end. good good stuff even if it's not straight from the hive...or at least I don't think it is.

We have a publix coming and the lady of the house is as excited about that as I would be if Paul Shirley was to pull up in my driveway delivering a surprise smoker!:laugh: Apparently I haven't experienced the greatness that is Publix. Those are her actual words.....

Last edited:
LOL!! It's jerk pork.:heh::heh:

Anyway, with this particular haul the Almond/coconut milk is for her and it is just to drink and cereal. But, the unsweetened CASHEW milk is for me and it is to drink, eat with cereal and to use in taters, soups and so forth alllllll while having only 25 calories a cup! Now, I also have lots of coconut milk that I really like to drink and use in Indian and Thai curries and soups A LOT!

So the answer is that we are trying to be healthy annnd I'm lactose intolerant and I REALLY like the flavors these "milks" bring to the table when cooking.

I think everybody should try the unsweetened or sweetened version of cashew milk. It's not strangely thick like almond milk and doesn't have a pronounced flavor like coconut milk to get in the way of whatever you're mixing it with. And at 25 calories per serving for the unsweetened it's a fairly good combo.

I will say there is an obvious difference in the taste of cashew milk in your cereal compared to whole milk. But, compared to SKIM milk I'll take cashew milk in sweetened or unsweetened form all day. I hate skim milk. LOL

I'd hit that omelet and the loin!!! As for the Silk, my son really likes the coconut as he loves just about anything coconut. I was amazed at how much I liked em. In a glass with some ice, they are refreshing, light, and not thick at all. We can't get used to em with cereal though. I think it's more the flavor combo of the cereal and the Silk flavor you use. The coconut makes for a damn good milkshake and smoothie!
I need to try that cashew one.
I added some of the coconut one to some Spanish rice and we really liked the flavor. That was a great deal you got on em. I can see where they different flavors could work really well with certain cuisines and dishes.

Bob

Chris, we have a Trader joes close by. I'm going to look for the honey. We have several Publix stores and my boss loves them. They have a very good selection of fat free and sugar free items. She learned all about Publix while going through "heart life" re-hab after a heart attack. I think you will like it. Joe

Chris, we have a Trader joes close by. I'm going to look for the honey. We have several Publix stores and my boss loves them. They have a very good selection of fat free and sugar free items. She learned all about Publix while going through "heart life" re-hab after a heart attack. I think you will like it. Joe

Do yourself a favor and stick with LOCAL RAW honey.Anything in stores has been discombobulated.Pollen,removed,pasteurized,etc.Local is much more beneficial.

Make sure to shoot me a PM with your opinion of the honey! And I don't care if ya think I tried to poison ya. Gimme your brutally honest opinion.:grin:

What I like about it is the great flavor and low cost gives me more options to use it in cooking, adding to drinks or on biscuits without getting into my wallet. Much easier on it than Bihophar Wald Honig or Breitsamer Honig Forest Honey or heck our local sourwood honey is REALLY taking off and has hit between 20 and 35 dollars a jar.:shocked:

Back