How many Team Members?

I pretty much do things solo with a buddy who helps here and there. I have my prep, cook times and all that pretty much down. But it would be nice to have someone share the expense, work load, test runs and fun. But to be a good team if more than just you everyone I think would need a roll that they could call their job so they focus 100% for that job/jobs.
But you can be a decent team solo, I think over the years I have done pretty good. As I have always been one who wanted to land on the best teams tables. Heck I have even tried to time it and walked up or waited on certain teams in hopes to land on their table. This in turn let me know where MY product stacked up against the best. I have lost some by doing this but I have had my fair share of winning a table against the best or being right there with them also.
My point is there is no magic number just everyone needs to be on the same page, same goal and stick to their job or task at hand. Also let others on the team stick to their task at hand and all will roll smooth.

We are a team of three. Me Brethren awscwi, and a former coworker. It works out very well. Awscwi and Tracy have kids so if they have a family duty there is always at least two of us. We get along great! We all have experience running stickburners so we can alternate naps so no one has to stay up all night. They are two great guys and I'm lucky to have them as teamates.

Also can't leave out our wives! They usually show up during turn ins to do the people's choice samples so we can concentrate on turn ins and drinking beer!

I think small is best. 4 people max, otherwise you just get in each other's way and there's too much down time. I cooked solo for several years and it worked out ok, but ultimately the expense kept me from being able to compete as much as I wanted.

My hubby and one of our best friends cook with me. I don't really want anyone else's opinion to deal with, so I like to keep it small and close to the vest. I've had friends or family hang around while competing, but they usually get in the way, and I tell them up front that my yankee comes out during crunch time...do not take offence, but get out of my way when I tell you to. :-D

I think small is best. 4 people max, otherwise you just get in each other's way and there's too much down time. I cooked solo for several years and it worked out ok, but ultimately the expense kept me from being able to compete as much as I wanted.

That could be true, unless you stage your functions.

When we were a team of five, we had one fellow who was not a cook. His job was to help with set up, tear down and cleaning. Bobby could drink all he wanted Friday night and sleep late, because he wasn't needed until about 10AM.

It sure was great to have a fresh guy to jump on breaking down the camp after the last turn in while the tired night crew enjoyed a celebratory beverage and a nap before awards. :)

Now that we are a team of two, minimizing those functions has become a much higher priority. I will be reconfiguring the trailer to cook on the gate over the winter to eliminate as much setting up effort as possible.

I wish 2-3 of my friends were interested in competing. They love to eat what I cook, but there's no interest in competing. (And I'm not interested in running solo.)

I wish 2-3 of my friends were interested in competing. They love to eat what I cook, but there's no interest in competing. (And I'm not interested in running solo.)

It's funny how everyone's opinion on this varies so much...if I could cook alone, I would totally do that! To have just my own thoughts and opinions to filter would be amazing...I just know I couldn't get away with it without seriously hurting my hubs feelings.

Back