How many slabs of spares do I need....

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Parental Assigned Label
In my freezer!!

So around Memorial Day my local big box grocer has spares on sale for $1.87/lb. these are trimmed to St Louis cut but they include the tips in the package. I like tips and saves me the work of trimming. I pick up 3 slabs, cook two and freeze one. (Not to mention the 2 bone in butts for $.98/lb for for the freezer too).

4th of July rolls around and they run the same sale. I buy 3 slabs, cook one and freeze two.

Today I walk into Sam's Club and they have Smithfield Prime Reserve untrimmed spares (two slabs to a package) on Managers Special reduced to $1.98/lb. they have 6-7 packs labeled this way.

So the questions is how many packs can I get away buying with the following facts...

1. My wife is with me...AND
2. I already have a tri-tip and a two pack of London Broil in the cart...AND
3. We have just spent over $400 in the past week on the kitchen for paint, new faucet, new blinds and other supplies.

I chickened out and only bought one pack...so now the question is...

1. Do I sneak back tomorrow and buy some more for the freezer and hope she doesn't notice?
2. Do I defrost some of the ribs in the freezer to smoke this weekend or just use the new ones?

The problems we Brethren face....

yCaOyfAg.jpg

I stock up when the price is right but only if they are what i want. For me thats not enhanced or at least minimally, even thickness, good size color and marble. Im willing to have up to 12 racks on stock cooking on average 2-3 racks a month, an occasional large cook can devastate a stash.

Latley ribs have been cheaper so its not necessary but when i find good looking ribs for under 2 a lbs i stock up. Even though the price is good lately the rack quality can vary throughout the year

I am still trying to hone in on Ribs,they are my nemesis.Great one time,not so much the next time.I give the ones that we do not like to my workers.They love them all.Free food.I buy all I can find on sale,to practice with.I also buy Butts by the case.I can cook a case of them with the same fuel I use to cook one.I freeze them whole,wrapped in plastic wrap,aluminum foil and vac sealed.When someone in the community passes,I reheat the butts and deliver butts,beans,slaw and buns to the grieving family to feed the guests attending the memorial.It has been much appreciated by many.

We have a good selection of grocery stores in our area. As such they are regularly competing with each other in the loss leader category. In other words someone is putting meats on good sales at least once a month. When ribs go under $2 I keep at least a half dozen racks in the freezer. I keep at least 3 10#+ butts in the freezer as well.

I reckon I am lucky that my wife has never said anything about my stockpiling of food. I do all the grocery buying and all the BBQ cooking.

I'm also lucky in that regard. I get home from a work trip and I'm told she's picked up a few things and threw them in the freezer for me to smoke later. I went to the store a few weeks ago and she texts "hey, they have rack of lamb on sale" "but you don't like lamb.." "well, I'd try it if you smoked it"

I haven't done a lot of stockpiling, but I overcook every time, and then fill the freezer. We have meatloafs, shredded chicken, PBS's all stocked up in there. Easy meals for her when I'm out.

Seems like you have an adequate stock of items at this point. For me, if I already had a nice supply...Price wouldn't push me to buy more but quality would. If these are nice looking slabs that aren't thin-ended and overly fatty? Then perhaps I would grab them. If they're just run-of-the-mill or worse...I'd pass.

I've never been all that happy with enhanced pork in general, and even less happy when frozen. The final product tends to get too mushy for my liking after a thaw and cook. Fresh pork, or all natural, seems to hold up better in the freezer.

Back