How do you Smoke a Boneless Leg of Lamb?

RogerR.

Got Wood.
I love lamb, and tried smoking a boneless piece of leg one time. It turned out dry.
I would love to hear from folks who smoke this delightful meat successfully.
What wood do you use?
What rub do you use?
How hot & how long?

I just bought a 3.7 lb piece of boneless leg of lamb and want to try it again.
Your comments are really appreciated!

The night before, coat heavily with a mix of kosher salt, black pepper, chopped garlic and fresh thyme, rosemary or both and olive oil. Wrap in plastic wrap and stash in the fridge.

I like to cook mine around 375 for 1-2 hours depending on size. Shoot for 125 internal, then sear until you bring it up to 135. Then remove and tent with foil You should get 5-10 degrees in carry over.

You can serve with other roasted vege, like parsnips, carrots, rutabaga, potatoes and onion. Brussel sprouts are great with it too.

on Edit - added some links.

Here's a lamb thread. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3351457&postcount=1

And another http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2665324&postcount=1

and the last one I cooked on the Shirley http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227535

I'm sure others will chime in.

I love lamb, and tried smoking a boneless piece of leg one time. It turned out dry.
I would love to hear from folks who smoke this delightful meat successfully.
What wood do you use?
What rub do you use?
How hot & how long?

I just bought a 3.7 lb piece of boneless leg of lamb and want to try it again.
Your comments are really appreciated!

Keep the rub simple. Lamb should shine on this one.
I like sea salt, cracked Black pepper and Herbes de Provence.

Biggest key is not to over cook it.

Pull it 135F and let rest to ~140F. Any more than that and it will dry out quickly

Apple, Oak, Cherry, Hickory would all compliment lamb. Lamb can be strong tasting so it will stand up to a lot.

I like to cook mine around 375 for 1-2 hours depending on size. Shoot for 125 internal, then sear until you bring it up to 135. Then remove and tent with foil You should get 5-10 degrees in carry over.

So you like to use your smoker like an "oven" and not cook it low & slow. Is that correct?

So you like to use your smoker like an "oven" and not cook it low & slow. Is that correct?

I've done it both ways. A reverse sear is nice. In the links I posted, the last one is a reverse sear from my smoker.

I cook hot if I'm cooking vege with the lamb. I probably cook cooler if I'm only cooking lamb on the cooker.

I have good luck using pecan... I like to pull at/around 125 in the thickest part

We love Lamb. I cooked this a while back for a Sunday supper.
I would use whatever rub you like. For us, Salt Pepper and some Garlic works best for most things. If I remember correctly, I took this off the cooker when it was around 135 degrees.

Attachments

• 20150329_171743.jpg
    20150329_171743.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 163
  • 20150329_171754.jpg
    20150329_171754.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 20150329_172009.jpg
    20150329_172009.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 161
I've done it both ways. A reverse sear is nice. In the links I posted, the last one is a reverse sear from my smoker.

I cook hot if I'm cooking vege with the lamb. I probably cook cooler if I'm only cooking lamb on the cooker.

When you say you cook cooler w/o veggies - what temp do you cook?

Also, on those pages you sent, one lamb you tresses and the other you did not. Do you tress for a reason (vs not)?

Nothing to add about how to cook but my sister used to live on one of the San Juan Islands (don't remember which one). Has to be one of the most beautiful spots I've ever been!

I do a rotisserie boneless leg a couple of times a year.
Marinade with olive oil, lemon, rosemary, garlic, parsly and thyme over night.
On grill with hickory.

DO NOT OVER COOK

No more than 135
Let rest.

Slice thin.

So good.

Get a spring lamb.

I cooked it!

I rubbed it with rosemary, lemon pepper, ground pepper, Greek seasoning, olive oil & garlic. Roasted for about an hour at 300° with Apple wood until 141° internal.

It turned out a beautiful pink medium rare. (My darn camera was in my other car so no photos)

It was great, although the store bought (Costco) new lamb is a little mild for my taste. I prefer a 1.5 year - 1.75 year lamb over these new lambs - for a stronger - fuller flavor. I'm not sure if these Costco lambs would be a bit more flavorful cooked just a little longer or not?

I will try White Oak or Pecan next time as the Apple is a little light for this meat too (for me).

All and all, it was very good.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back