THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To the OP, you asked about methods without cornmeal......Louisiana Fish Fry has cornmeal in it, so probably not what you are looking for.

To the OP, you asked about methods without cornmeal......Louisiana Fish Fry has cornmeal in it, so probably not what you are looking for.

I do have reading comprehension problems at times. But it's not straight cornmeal, at least the Shrimp Fry isn't.

Had to go look... It has corn flour and meal in it, but it's way down the list of ingredients, so not too much.

Any one have a tried and true recipe that rivals Long John Silvers? I've tried several online that are so heavy compared to the light batter if LJS that I get depressed with the messy cleanup I'm left with after my feeble attempts.

I fry fish a lot. Not sure where you’re at, but check around for “Drake’s Fry Mix”. Its Michigan made & one of its retailers is Gordon’s Food Service. My go to is a deep fryer with peanut oil. Soak the filet for an hour in salt water to draw out any remaining blood from the fish. Rinse and soak for another hour in fresh water. Put the Drake’s in a gallon bag with Old Bay to taste. Take the filet directly from the water to the bag. Shake it up and fry til it floats. Its not even remotely oily or greasy. Just a good, clean piece of fish. Works with saltwater or freshwater fish the same. An added tip, cook the French fries in the oil first. After the fish, drop the fries in for a second bath. Crisp on the outside and hot on the inside!

Drakes is the best!

Back