Hot n' Fast on the cinderblock pit (pr0n)

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
sleebs
Well, limited amounts of pr0n.

In my continuing experiments with my DIY reverse flow cinderblock pit I figured I wanted to do a hot and fast brisket to see how she'd work out. After reading/watching a bit from Pitmaster T and BlueDawg, I figured I was good to go. Fired the pit and did what I could to keep her ginning along at 300°.

Well, this is a continuing experiment so there were some learnings from this go-round. This pit as it's built is happy to tick along at 250° all day long. Running it at 300° requires a bit more stoking of the firebox, and some changes in how the firebox works. This pit is built (well, stacked really) right on the ground. No concrete pad or pavers. So, the fire gets built right on the ground...and this means just about zero air coming up through the fire. Not a big deal at lower temps, but trying to get higher temps is a bit of a challenge without airflow through the coals. So, looks like there's another trip down to Vasbinder's to get a heavy-duty expanded metal grate cut for the firebox. I can elevate that on bricks and be good to go. Easy to remove for cleanout. I'll get that done this week sometime as I'm planning a BBQ for my dad for father's day.

I'm really enjoying the hot and fast method. Great results in less time. I did the weeping ribs last time and MAN they were good. Fast and easy.

At any rate, the brisket didn't suffer too much, just took a bit longer due to not being able to keep the heat up.

C7ujIodl.jpg

Just to prove it's on the cinderblock pit. Not pictured was the whole chicken and chuck roast that came off earlier.

yWX1rxRl.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to make one , wife said no and that's as far as I got

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to make one , wife said no and that's as far as I got

Aw, that's too bad.

I keep waiting for the day that I see someone post one of my design besides me! The more I use it, the better I get. The chicken that I did with the brisket was cooking along at 300° and it cooked perfect, didn't even kill the ends of the wings like I usually see...I was still able to suck some juicy goodness out of 'em.

I'll be cooking up a mess of country style ribs this weekend. That'll be a much shorter cook, but no less tasty!

I LOVE IT! Please keep posting your experiences.I am trying to learn the do's and don'ts from your posts.I have always wanted to give it a try ( cinder block pit cooker).

can you please post more pictures of the whole pit when you make a post, I love looking at that thing and am enjoying you story

Sure it was tasty.
I would have wrapped in a paper shopping bag earlier -
just me, and that's what I use.
EAT ON!

I LOVE IT! Please keep posting your experiences.I am trying to learn the do's and don'ts from your posts.I have always wanted to give it a try ( cinder block pit cooker).

Yep, will do. I have been extremely pleased with the performance, and it just keeps getting better with every tweak. TBS is achievable as is, but it is not easy due to the limited airflow through the coals. It requires some creative wood stacking in the firebox to keep air going through it. When the cook was finished, I probably had 6" or more coal bed, and that's just wasteful...but I had to do it to get enough heat and stay in the TBS zone. Pit was still hot the next morning when I went by, haha. I think with the addition of the grate in the firebox, it will be pretty much perfect and I won't have to build up such a huge coal bed.

If you want to build one, DO IT! You won't be disappointed. Nothing like having your own TRUE pit on the cheap.

can you please post more pictures of the whole pit when you make a post, I love looking at that thing and am enjoying you story

Will do, Tom. This was one hot day and the only pics I got were the brisket right before I pulled it. Usually i'm pretty good about the pr0n but I was just outta gas by the end of the day.

Sure it was tasty.
I would have wrapped in a paper shopping bag earlier -
just me, and that's what I use.
EAT ON!

Yup, bluedawg's guide calls for wrapping it in butcher paper, but I wanted to do one high-heat cook all the way through without anything just to see what would happen. Luckily, I have another brisket in the freezer so I can continue to experiment! :becky:

Back