Horizonal Sausage Stuffer

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
I have seen multiple recommendations here to use a stuffer instead of trying to use my grinder. So I have been shopping a little. 5# is probably my high side batch size, so I don't need a big machine and don't have storage space for one either. I am happy with my #8 LEM grinder.

The LEM 1606 vertical looks like it will do what I need and I have had good experience with LEM. It's around $150 at Amazon.

But then I ran across this guy: https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-Ho...tuffing-Machine-Commercial-Home-Use/884693370 It's sold all over the the internet at about $110. It's two-speed and more compact than the LEM for storage. Amazon reviews seem decent, though the negative reviews don't have any text to explain the reasons.

Thoughts? Especially: experience?

I have the LEM 5 pound, but recently bought a Weston 15 pounder. Once you get going it's just as easy to grind and mix 15 pounds of meat as it is to do 5 pounds. Yes, you can reload the 5 pounder, but it takes time and your meat is getting warm while you are messing with it. I really like the two speed feature. Webrestaurant store has great prices on their private label stuffers here:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...&utm_term=1100400560695&utm_content=Equipment

Horizontal stuffers do take up more room than verticals do, especially when you get 11lb or bigger stuffers. The 11lb stuffers are about as tall as I would want on a kitchen countertop. I personally prefer electric models so you can truly be a one man operation

All I can help you with is yes.. using a grinder for the additional stuffing is a frustrating thing. Any proper stuffer is better by a long way. For most people 3litres is plenty. You just keep all your additional sausage mix in the freezer to keep it cold. I have a vertical and I really like it. The one you posted looks a little flimsy on the handle. Maybe spend another few dollars and get something more solid.

I have the LEM 5 pound, when making more then 5lbs, the key is to put the extra meat in the freezer while stuffing. This works & is a very simple fix.

I ... Once you get going it's just as easy to grind and mix 15 pounds of meat as it is to do 5 pounds. ...
Yes. The problem for us is not the stuffing. It's the eating. For two people, not eating sausages daily, 15# represents months of consumption. For us, we would only be doing 15# if we were making three or four types.

If you are interested in selling your LEM 5# please PM me.

Interesting. Please report back.

If it has nylon gears I wouldn't touch it. Get the LEM and be done with it.
Me too. I think they are metal but will verify if I decide to pull the trigger on it.

Hmmm ... still no one with experience with a horizontal machine?

Last edited:
No experience with horizontal but I can tell that unless you have it firmly nailed down to the surface of your table/bench,counter, you will have a time trying to use it. Agree with the nylon gears, I have a vertical from Northern Tool for years now and the gears keep slipping when under stress. Holding it down is a chore as well but horizontal would be worse. Northern has a horizontal one that works with a lever (not crank) if I recall. You might check that out.

I have used the Dakota 5# for a number of years. Easy one person operation and never had a problem. Sits on the countertop and never moves. Easy dishwasher cleanup to boot.šŸ˜Ž

Back