High Heat Brisket

Anyone every tried doing a HH Brisket on a weber kettle? I'd be very interested in trying it out. Any tips would be greatly apprciated!

My brisket was done on the Weber Kettle using the smokenator. You can use the indirect method just as well.

Read the details at the beginning of this thread on how to do this.

<--- Imagining the fun if Chris did not clue in and I all the sudden got in an argument defending low ans slow. Which is okay too.... just saying.

i agree...I dont even cook a low and slow brisket anymore...I tend to put the brisket on as soon as the smoker is started and let the cyberq bring it up to about 225 slowly..I will cook him an hour or so (from the time I put it on the cooker) and then ramp temp up to about 300 and let it go from there...my last one was a 19lber that I foiled (gasp!...I hardly ever foil, but I did this one) at 180....it still took 9 hours...most of mine are 11-12lbs and done in a little over 6 hours though...no more 20 hour brisket cooks for me

This is it for me. The results are the same and I'm not getting up in the middle of the night...

One of the real points of interest my fellow brethren & I were interested in when we took the August "Jack's Old South" class last August was, of course, brisket.

Brisket is pretty much what made Myron Mixon famous... and of course, Myron too, is a proponent of "hot & fast."

So when I got back home from class, I couldn't wait to duplicate his meats. And having his recipes and technique (but not his cooker, I was using a Weber kettle), I was successful. But they were all h&f.

But then, I read a thread here about the BBQ Guru, and ordered me a NanoQ, and decided to try me a "low & slow".

Ten hours later, here was the result:

3.jpg

Pretty darn good, IMO (and I was one of the folk who ate it). The red color to the meat and the moistness and tenderness we all love. Done in my Weber kettle with the NanoQ, at 70 some degree outside temperatures.

So fast-forward to last saturday: 26 degrees out, mild wind, and I started late: put it on @ 12:35 pm. And I also used my NanoQ, but this cook was in my BWS smoker:

5.jpg

Now, the above pic from the BWS was snapped @ 1:30 am as I wrapped it to rest. The two piece from left to right are actually the same brisket. It was so tender, it came apart as I went to wrap it. To the far right and above the 2 pieces is a commercially soaked corned beef.

Now, both the kettle brisket and the BWS brisket were injected with the very same injection: a Mixon based injection recipe minus the sodium (it's for the wife and she's like the salt police) with a few of my own secret ingriedients.

Both were great, but the one on the bottom cooked in the BWS was vastly superior, IMO. Bark... everything. If it hadn't been 1:30 am, I might have given it another half-hour in the BWS (for slightly better bark), but still, I was happy with the result.

My hot & fasts ala Myron are fantastic. But the low & slows I do with the same injection, are superior. I put this down to 2 things:

1 - The injection basics of Myrons. Without this, it ain't as moist & tasty.

2- The BWS & NanoQ. The insulated cooker makes all the difference in the world.

To me, proving that Mixon's class was worth the time & effort.

GrillinFool,
I know you've been a member a while, but you are not on here enough to learn some of the personalities. Trust me, there are some PERSONALITIES...but 99% (or more) are great. Donnie (BarFunk) is one of the good, knowledgeable guys - even if only three people understand him sometimes. :)

I like HH briskets. I like the low and slow, too. Depends on how much time I have and how I feel that day.

The brisket in your post looks great. Thanks for the post and recipe. I've never mopped one, but might give that a try.

GrillinFool,
I know you've been a member a while, but you are not on here enough to learn some of the personalities. Trust me, there are some PERSONALITIES...but 99% (or more) are great. Donnie (BarFunk) is one of the good, knowledgeable guys - even if only three people understand him sometimes. :)

I like HH briskets. I like the low and slow, too. Depends on how much time I have and how I feel that day.

The brisket in your post looks great. Thanks for the post and recipe. I've never mopped one, but might give that a try.

I pm'd him with a little help (I do that quite a bit). Looking forward to seeing his next with the injection.

Oh...

And if you're using a kettle (or any non-insulated cooker, really) take a page outta BBQ pitmaster's Season 1: get a blanket over your cooker, or build one of those hot water heater blankets like one of the brothers did here for his Bandera. Makes a world of difference.

Hello I'm new to the site and relatively new to bbqing. I've done 2 briskests so far.

From what I understand I want the internal temp to get to 190+ so the connective fibers start breaking down and that's where the goodness comes in. If thata the case then going high heat makes the most sense to get the internal to there sooner.

Then when the internal hits close to 190 back off the heat and let it ride for a couple of hours. Wouldn't this same thing apply to a pork shoulder as well?

That's what's confusing because I did a pork shoulder and cooked it for a good 8 hours around 275-300 but the internal temp never got past 180. The shoulder wasn't as tender as it's supposed to be.

So to get the internal temp up I needed more time at the grill temp I was using.

Gonna experiment with the next one and put my theory to the test. Also let it cook in its own juices like the brisket.

Back