Help needed - Wet Curing/Pickling Advice

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Brethren,

In Louisiana (esp New Orleans) we have a product called "pickled pork" that is widely available in grocery stores. It consists of strips of cured pork that we use to season red or white beans.
picture.php

When I moved to Virginia, I discovered that this is not available locally. I decided to try to make my own. However, I ran into a problem - I cannot find a recipe for it anywhere. If you Google "New Orleans Pickled Pork", you get the same (incorrect) recipe over and over and over... It calls for soaking raw pork in vinegar. That is not it.

Apparently they do something up north (Michigan?) where they cook sausages and then soak in in vinegar. This is not what I want.

After much searching, I have found two recipes that seem to approximate what I am looking for:
1. Is an old Confederate Recipe that calls for: 6 lb. salt, 1 lb. sugar, 4 oz. saltpeter, & 4 gallons water
2. Is a Canadian Spice Company that talks about pickling meat in general (not necessarily pork). They call for: 7 lb salt, 1 3/4 lb sugar, 1 1/2 lb Cure #1, and 1 oz sodium erthyorbate, & 10 gallons of water.

Both of these seem to be pretty strong brines. The pickled pork I am used to is cured, but not super salty. I zoomed in on the ingredients and see this:
picture.php

Note that the sodium erthyorbate is listed before the Cure #1. From what I have been able to read, it is similar to vitamin C and is used to oxidize the nitrite and speed the curing process.

So here is my question: Are any brethren aware of an appropriate recipe for a mild brine to cure pork as I have described? Do you know wat the appropriate amount to Cure #1 and Sodium Erthyorbate are for a liquid brine???

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

David

Can't have good red beans and rice, without pickled pork. I have always used Nola's recipe, which is the one you don't want. Here is what they do, and they also have a link to a cookbook, with the old fashioned way. If you don't have access to fresh butchered pork, I would stick with the vinegar. If you haven't tried it, it is very good in Red Beans. Good Luck in your quest.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/10/16/pickle-meat-or-pickled-pork-recipe/

Back