THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dly4

Knows what a fatty is.
I want to add a pellet grill, and I am trying to decide between a Mak 1 Star and a Grilla Silverback. I realize the Grilla is 1/2 the price of the Mak. Essentially, I’ve liked Maks for years, but the Grilla seems to be a great deal. I either want to go big or go (relatively) cheap. Other than build differences, I’m trying to figure out if the Mak is worth it. Will it produce better food? I’m not interested in searing or grilling on the pellet grill. Thanks for any suggestions

If you can afford the Mak, it’s a better grill. That said, your statement that you have liked Maks for years but never bought one, and you are now looking at the Grilla tells me you may never get the Mak, and a Silverbac is definitely better than nothing.

It is kinda like my other hobby. I kayak fish a bit and while I love the Hobie Kayaks, the price kept me from buying one. I finally settled for a much cheaper Vibe kayak. It definitely not as nice as the Hobie, but it gets me out on the water.

Just look at any of my posts.. I've been a silverbac owner for just over a year.. I love it! I'm sure a Mak is better, and worth the money.. But I don't regret the silverbac purchase at all

I'm a big fan of Grilla Grills, and people tend to say the the Grilla (also referred to as the OG) gives a better smoke flavor than the Silverbac. Either way you can't go wrong with either company and you'll have a good piece of equipment.

Highly recommend Mak 2. It’s a great cooker.

I also really like my Grilla chimp. It’s a little like an automobile.... a huge range of price and features but they all get you to the same place.

You’ll be happy with either. If your really stretching your budget to get the Mak you may be disappointed. It’s not gonna work miracles or do anything you couldn’t do on the Grilla. On the other hand a Mak is noticeably higher quality and a pleasure to cook on. I’d buy again but only if the extra cash wasn’t a worry.

Thanks everyone. I tend to keep my grills forever, but I did sell a Pitts and Spitts pellet grill when i moved. I loved that smoker, but I also don’t think the food tasted any different than what I Cooked on my friend’s Rec Tec. Capacity was really the main advantage. I am looking at this decision from that perspective. I can afford the Mak and don’t want to end up buying twice, but if I can do the same thing with a Grilla, I don’t see the point in spending double. I can put the money towards another toy. I have never seen a Mak but have read about them for 7 or 8 years. I always hear about a better smoke output, etc, and I’m trying to get a feel for how true that is. I’m certain they are well made by a great company, but does it cool any different?

Thanks everyone. I tend to keep my grills forever, but I did sell a Pitts and Spitts pellet grill when i moved. I loved that smoker, but I also don’t think the food tasted any different than what I Cooked on my friend’s Rec Tec. Capacity was really the main advantage. I am looking at this decision from that perspective. I can afford the Mak and don’t want to end up buying twice, but if I can do the same thing with a Grilla, I don’t see the point in spending double. I can put the money towards another toy. I have never seen a Mak but have read about them for 7 or 8 years. I always hear about a better smoke output, etc, and I’m trying to get a feel for how true that is. I’m certain they are well made by a great company, but does it cool any different?

MAK’s smoke like locomotives! Is the end result gonna be 10x smokier than a Grilla? No way. That said, IMO it’s gonna give you an end product that’s about as smoky as you’ll get from a pellet cooker. The other advantages that come to mind are:
1) Lifetime warranty
2) US built from the ground up with the best of the best in materials.
3) Extremely versatile with the Flame Zone setup. I grill with my MAKs all the time and absolutely love the results.
4) The Pellet Boss controller is highly programmable and is the only controller on the market with industrial grade k-style temp probes.
5) Future innovations are made to be retrofittable, meaning you can update your MAK with the latest without having to sell and buy new.

Robb covered it well as usual. I’m still new to the MAK family, but I do feel it’s on the high end for smoke output. I think the SmokeFire gave a stronger smoke taste, but the headaches outweighed the results. Other than that I don’t think anything has put out a better smoke profile than the MAK. A couple were about the same. A lot were less.

All MAK 1 & 2-star models will be increasing in price on June 1st!

Back