Help - Brisket Temp Shot Up Real Fast

ngiovas

Found some matches.
Since it is early in the morning, I thought I would post this on a couple of forums hoping someone might see it and respond. I apologize if you end up reading this twice.

What do I do if my brisket internal temp shot up way faster than expected? It was at 180 degrees after only 4 hours.

I picked up a 10.1 pound prime brisket from Costco. I am having some friends over later today, so I estimated that I wanted it to be ready at 5:00pm. I know the amount of time a brisket will take can vary, but I figured if it was done a little early, it could wait in the cooler longer.

I figured the range in time would be about 12 - 15 hours to cook it. I figured this out based on 1.25 hours per pound to 1.5 hours per pound with a smoker temp of 225 degrees. My plan was to cook it to 170 degrees internal temp and then wrap it in foil and cook to 195 - 200. Then I was going to wrap it in some towels and let it rest in a cooler until it was time to eat. At 15 hours to cook and two hours to rest, that would mean that I would have to start the brisket at midnight. I decided I would start it at 2:00am figuring we could always eat a bit later.

I put the brisket in to my 30" MES at 2:00am this morning. I was monitoring the temps through a Maverick temp probe. At 6:00am this morning, I checked the temp monitor and it showed an internal temp of 180 degrees already. I thought there was no way that was right, so I opened the smoker and checked it with two other thermometers and both came out with the exact same temp. Wow!! That was much quicker than I ever thought would be possible. I went ahead and wrapped it in foil and put it back in, but it looks like we may be eating lunch instead of dinner :icon_eek:.

Did I do something wrong? I don't know how much longer it will take to finish, but what is the best way to keep it hot for dinner. Am I just going to have to reheat it tonight? I still can't believe how quickly this thing is cooking.

I think your initial projection was a bit long to start with. I've seen brisket temps all over the place at the start. I don't put a temp probe in at the beginning anymore because of that. Learn your pit and start wrapping based of time, then it's fine to toss a probe in for guidance. It's possible your brisket could spend the next 3 hours stalled

I agree that the stall may still show up. I wouldn't worry. If it's done early just vent for a few minutes and double wrap in foil and place in a preheated cooler or in the oven at the lowest setting depending on how long it has to be held. I've held in the oven for 12+ hours

Unfortunately, it was at 199 degrees 15 minutes ago (after 7 hours). I checked the temperature at 6 different locations with two thermometers and came up with the same result (between 197 and 199).

I went ahead and pulled it and put one more layer of heavy duty foil on it, wrapped it in two large towels and threw it in the cooler.

At this point, I think the only thing I can do is wait until this afternoon and slice it to find out what happened. I can figure out what to change/improve from there.

I agree that the stall may still show up. I wouldn't worry. If it's done early just vent for a few minutes and double wrap in foil and place in a preheated cooler or in the oven at the lowest setting depending on how long it has to be held. I've held in the oven for 12+ hours

I may give the oven a try. My oven will go as low as 170. At this point, I would probably need to hold it for 8-9 hours before we are ready to slice.

First mistake is applying a hours per pound estimate. They are only good in a VERY narrow range of weight and thicknesses on a particular cooking device. So narrow to the point of being useless.

Second mistake was wrapping when it was going too fast. Wrapping the meat is a way to speed up the cook and get through a stall fast, the exact opposite of what you wanted.

To slow down a cook you want to lower the temp and or increase evaporative cooling. Frequent liberal applications of a wet mop would have been the best trick to slow things down and purposely induce a stall.

First mistake is applying a hours per pound estimate. They are only good in a VERY narrow range of weight and thicknesses on a particular cooking device. So narrow to the point of being useless.

Second mistake was wrapping when it was going too fast. Wrapping the meat is a way to speed up the cook and get through a stall fast, the exact opposite of what you wanted.

To slow down a cook you want to lower the temp and or increase evaporative cooling. Frequent liberal applications of a wet mop would have been the best trick to slow things down and purposely induce a stall.

Thanks for the input. I was so worried about making sure I had enough time to smoke the meat so it would be ready when everyone arrived, I didn't really consider the exact opposite.

One other quick question - I'm not sure if I made a mistake or not, but I used the water pan in my smoker. Should I have left it dry, or does it not impact the cooking time?

I went through that on my barrel, no stall, it was a 7lb flat. i thought it was gonna come out screwed up but it ended up tender juicy and delicious.

This would have been a great plan...Too late now...

And then there is the fact that nothing you did was really a mistake...Only problem is that you maybe didnt get as much smoke as you wanted...
It's possible that this prime brisket just didn't need as much time to get to the "perfect" stage...
I think I would rest it for a couple hours and then chill it...You can slice it before or after its cold...Your choice...When its time to reheat put the slices in a pan with some of the reserved drippings and foil...250 degree oven for an hour...Gonna be good!

I went through that on my barrel, no stall, it was a 7lb flat. i thought it was gonna come out screwed up but it ended up tender juicy and delicious.

That gives me hope. I have been very successful smoking many foods in the past, but being so focused on what time I wanted it to be done really threw things off this time.

most important thing is probe tender. mine was 195 in 4 hours but it stayed on anothe 45 minutes because it wasnt as tender as i wanted, once i got it tender as i wanted it, i put it in the cooler

Sounds like you created your own problem in that the temp probe is in the fat not the meat. My advice take it out &leave it out cook it to probe tender in the thickest part of the flat. that temp don't tell ya nothin. HRS per # is good for planing only (its an estimate) not cooking, meat is done when it probe tender not at a specific temp they can finish from 195-220 IT. Don't confuse resting with holding they are different. Resting is allowing the IT to drop preferably into the 150* range then it's held at that temp in a dry cooler

One other quick question - I'm not sure if I made a mistake or not, but I used the water pan in my smoker. Should I have left it dry, or does it not impact the cooking time?

The main impact of the water pan is to help control the temp. It would not have made a brisket cook faster.

I just wanted to follow up on my brisket. It was in fact fully cooked. I kept it wrapped in a couple of layers of heavy duty foil in the oven at 170 degrees. I served it around 6:00pm. It was moist, but slightly overcooked - I had to slice it thick because it was falling apart. It did have a nice smokey flavor. Everyone seemed to like it.

I think I will get one or two more briskets under my belt before inviting a crowd over at a specific time again :smile:

It must have turned out pretty good if everyone liked it. Just keep record of your cooks so you can learn. I really like Bludawg's brisket recpe.

Back