Having problems with my BBQ Guru DigiQ II...thoughts?

jmed999

Full Fledged Farker
I have had the BBQ Guru DigiQ II for nearly 2 years and I have been having some problems with it. :mmph:

-The 12V electrical outlet plug no longer powers the Guru. I have to use one from another electrical device. :cry:

-The plug on the fan wire that plugs into the Guru will only power the fan if it's turned a certain way. It's not reliable at all. I have had times where the plug rotates for what ever reason and the controller is trying to power the fan but the fan doesn't operate. This causes the grill temp to decrease. :twitch:

-Sometimes the temp reported on the Guru is erroneous. The DigiQ DX2 control unit will be at a steady 225F then suddenly report a crazy high temp like 422 for a few seconds then change back to 225F. :wacko:

I'm still under warranty but I use this thing all the time. Not sure I can be without it so long. This is why I've kept using it even though it's not very reliable.

Do you guys think they will require me to send the bad AC adapter, fan, and controller in to replace them? Any ideas on how to go about getting all this fixed? :confused:

Thanks! :clap2:

Throw it away and get a FlameBoss. Have a Guru. There customer service sucks. They are going to want the entire unit. They did with me. And then jerk ed me around....big time....over the blower....which can be purchased from Amazon for under 10 bucks...

I have had the BBQ Guru DigiQ II for nearly 2 years and I have been having some problems with it. :mmph:

-The 12V electrical outlet plug no longer powers the Guru. I have to use one from another electrical device. :cry:

-The plug on the fan wire that plugs into the Guru will only power the fan if it's turned a certain way. It's not reliable at all. I have had times where the plug rotates for what ever reason and the controller is trying to power the fan but the fan doesn't operate. This causes the grill temp to decrease. :twitch:

-Sometimes the temp reported on the Guru is erroneous. The DigiQ DX2 control unit will be at a steady 225F then suddenly report a crazy high temp like 422 for a few seconds then change back to 225F. :wacko:

I'm still under warranty but I use this thing all the time. Not sure I can be without it so long. This is why I've kept using it even though it's not very reliable.

Do you guys think they will require me to send the bad AC adapter, fan, and controller in to replace them? Any ideas on how to go about getting all this fixed? :confused:

Thanks! :clap2:
I have an old one that is about 10 years old, and a Digi-Q DX-II that I have used for 3 years, both work flawlessly.

If it's under warranty, then by all means contact BBQ Guru and explain this has been an ongoing problem. I have never had any technical issues, but have spoken with their software engineers and they were more than helpful answering my questions. They will tell you what to send back and give you a RMA authorization if needed.

Contact BBQ Guru

800-288-GURU (4878)
The BBQ Guru
359 Ivyland Road
Warminster, PA 18974-2205
Email: customerservice@thebbqguru.com

If you have a way to monitor the meat temperature might want to look into an Auber. You can use the Guru blower so you can buy one with just a pit probe and controller. I have one, works flawlessly.

I had a problem with one when I owned my Sumps Smoker but I burnt the wires to the fan on the fire door and it shorted out a relay . called them and they fixed it for free and all I paid was the shipping the Guru to them , I had great customer service with and only a two week turn around .

Back