Has anyone ever tried using chunks as an assist on Pellet Poopers?

This idea has been circling around in my head ever since i seen that heavy D diffuser from smoke daddy. I don't have a pellet pooper from them, but i have always been curious if i could get some smoke at temps of 350F+ using my Timberline's diffuser. Well today i decided to run a test, so i picked up some hickory chunks.

I ran it for 30 min at 375F, here are the results:

20200322-182612.jpg
20200322-182710.jpg

I would like to throw some idea's around, has anyone else tried something similar?

I’ve tried the SD HD Wood Burning Heat Diffuser with mixed results looking to add more smoke flavor to my bbq. The main problem I had was once the wood chunks would completely ignite, my pellet grills temps became very difficult to control. Pellets will burn very efficiently at temps above 250* degrees and pellet grill fans will kick in much stronger as the temps rise as well, producing very light/little smoke production. Some pellet grill controllers can be programmed to lower the fans speed, which in turn will allow more smoke to remain in the cooking chamber at higher temps. Not sure if your Traeger’s controller can do that. Another option to consider if your goal is to be able to smoke at higher temps on your Traeger Timberline Pellet Grill is adding a smoke generator canister to it. It’s smoke production is completely independent from what your pellet grill is producing. It doesn’t add any additional heat to your grill so temp management is still, Set it and Forget it. The mounting location of the smoke generator canister is very important, especially if you’re not able to adjust your grills fan speed. Smoke Daddy has 3 different sizes and the biggest and best is the SD Magnum P.I.G... Google search and read the reviews on it. The Magnum P.I.G can burn wood pellets, hardwood chunks and chips and the burn times can last for 4 plus hours. The option of being able to burn/smoke real hardwood is a great bonus and the flavor profile from real hardwood IMO is way better then just pellet smoke. The only real work is keeping it clean and knowing how to light and burn lump charcoal and real hardwood. Also, if you have any questions about the SD Magnum P.I.G. just give SmokeDaddyinc a call. Good luck and I hope you get the smoke profile you’re looking for. I know I did.

I’ve tried the SD HD Wood Burning Heat Diffuser with mixed results looking to add more smoke flavor to my bbq. The main problem I had was once the wood chunks would completely ignite, my pellet grills temps became very difficult to control. Pellets will burn very efficiently at temps above 250* degrees and pellet grill fans will kick in much stronger as the temps rise as well, producing very light/little smoke production. Some pellet grill controllers can be programmed to lower the fans speed, which in turn will allow more smoke to remain in the cooking chamber at higher temps. Not sure if your Traeger’s controller can do that. Another option to consider if your goal is to be able to smoke at higher temps on your Traeger Timberline Pellet Grill is adding a smoke generator canister to it. It’s smoke production is completely independent from what your pellet grill is producing. It doesn’t add any additional heat to your grill so temp management is still, Set it and Forget it. The mounting location of the smoke generator canister is very important, especially if you’re not able to adjust your grills fan speed. Smoke Daddy has 3 different sizes and the biggest and best is the SD Magnum P.I.G... Google search and read the reviews on it. The Magnum P.I.G can burn wood pellets, hardwood chunks and chips and the burn times can last for 4 plus hours. The option of being able to burn/smoke real hardwood is a great bonus and the flavor profile from real hardwood IMO is way better then just pellet smoke. The only real work is keeping it clean and knowing how to light and burn lump charcoal and real hardwood. Also, if you have any questions about the SD Magnum P.I.G. just give SmokeDaddyinc a call. Good luck and I hope you get the smoke profile you’re looking for. I know I did.

I like the smoke profile i get from my Timberline. Its just that when i am cooking whole chickens i waste an hour or two going low just to pick up some smoke, then crank it hot and fast to get a nice crisp skin. We had some heavy rain the past few days so i haven't had a chance to try my AMZNPS tray and see how well it does in my Timberline. I mean, pellets is pellets, if they burn clean as an assist at higher temps, then goal achieved.

Isn't the whole idea of pellet cooking to get away from wood chunks or splits? If you're adding wood chunks I would think the smoke profile of a pellet cooker may not be for you.

The idea here is to boost the smoke profile slightly. Sometimes you don't have time to run a low temp like 185 for 2 hours to get a good smoke flavor. It makes the whole cook take longer and to me is a hassle and also not that effective.

If you do something along these lines, you can run the grill at a set temp from the get go and save a lot of cooking time, yet still get all the smoke anyone would need, plus you can run any pellet and choose the chunks for what flavor you want.

I do something like this each time I use my pellet grill. I like to run 275 on most everything. I would not get the smoke profile that *I* like this way. So, I add chunks to a tray to the side that has air from an aquarium pump blowing on it to keep it smoldering right.

In my particular situation this works out better for me than a stick burner.

For others, maybe not so much. But if we were all the same, we would all be chasing the same girl.

Edit: Here is a video that I saw and sort of copied this guy. Only thing, my manifold is 1/4" and only as long as my small smoke tray, but it keeps just the right amount of air. Air pump is hidden under the control box for my GMGDB- put a switch on the front of the panel and ran a 1/4" plastic tube up to the manifold. I put the tray and manifold on the left front side, permanently mounted, kept the tray small- maybe 6 inch by 2-3 inch wide and sits on left front on the grate. I don't cook there so it does not waste space. This method is the best I have tried for good smoke flavor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns70pPP8-9M

Last edited:

I think the appropriate name for the so called "smoke generator" would be " creosote generator "

I think the appropriate name for the so called "smoke generator" would be " creosote generator "

Reminds me of the old days when i used to use a Smoke daddy generator in my Masterbuilt electric smoker. That was the worst smoke ever. That thing turned Cheese into cigarette smoked cheese. Tasted worse then and ash try.

The idea here is to boost the smoke profile slightly. Sometimes you don't have time to run a low temp like 185 for 2 hours to get a good smoke flavor. It makes the whole cook take longer and to me is a hassle and also not that effective.

If you do something along these lines, you can run the grill at a set temp from the get go and save a lot of cooking time, yet still get all the smoke anyone would need, plus you can run any pellet and choose the chunks for what flavor you want.

I do something like this each time I use my pellet grill. I like to run 275 on most everything. I would not get the smoke profile that *I* like this way. So, I add chunks to a tray to the side that has air from an aquarium pump blowing on it to keep it smoldering right.

In my particular situation this works out better for me than a stick burner.

For others, maybe not so much. But if we were all the same, we would all be chasing the same girl.

Edit: Here is a video that I saw and sort of copied this guy. Only thing, my manifold is 1/4" and only as long as my small smoke tray, but it keeps just the right amount of air. Air pump is hidden under the control box for my GMGDB- put a switch on the front of the panel and ran a 1/4" plastic tube up to the manifold. I put the tray and manifold on the left front side, permanently mounted, kept the tray small- maybe 6 inch by 2-3 inch wide and sits on left front on the grate. I don't cook there so it does not waste space. This method is the best I have tried for good smoke flavor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns70pPP8-9M

Heavy Metal Bbq is a good channel. Dude is the king of smoker mods.

years ago when I bought my pellet grill from smoke daddy I also purchased the big Kahuna smoking cylinder. you can put small chunks in it and it gets that extra smoke in the chamber. Loved it from day one and still use it. They now have an accessory which goes inside the smoker and fits over the fire pot. It has two square chambers which you can fit larger chunks in and supplements the smoke as needed.

Back