Had a pretty decent week

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Texas Pete
Tuesday: stopped by the Taylor Cafe and had some good Q. Spoke with Vencil for a few minutes and they walked me around their pits and explained how they cook their meats. He gives out signed news papers to anyone who wants one so he gave me one of them. The elderly couple in front of me in line spoke to Vencil about him catering their wedding back in the day. They had to have been in their late 60's.

Wednesday: the family decided they wanted burgers and dogs for the 4th. So I bought my first Weber, the 22.5 OTS. Got it home and the wife asked if that was the one I really wanted and I said the OTG was probably worth the extra $50. She sent me back to the store to get the right one.:biggrin1: Gotta love them when they can read your mind!

Friday: fired up the OTG and cooked the requested burgers and dogs. I was trying out the new HEB Grand Champion Oak all natural briquettes. Good flavor and burn time but they definitely soften up too quickly. I will stick to Stubb's. I am really liking the OTG. Now I can see why nearly everyone has a Weber.

Sunday: Kids wanted ribs and the wife wanted chicken. Fired up the Abe's smoker and obliged their requests. Made BBs and tried my first spatchcock chicken. Hot and fast with Stubb's and a mixture of pecan and apple chunks. Not a bad week...

Sounds like a fun week for sure...spoke to a legend, covertly scored a OTG, did some experiments, and spent more time chillaxin' in the smoke!!!

nice! I bought my 2nd weber this week...smokey joe gold! though I wish they came in red......

Not really following you. Why would they make one in that color? The copper almost looks "orange" enough but I went with black. Congrats on the new cooker!

haha you KNOW why they should make one in that color...and don't lie...u'd buy it too. but yea I was tired of wasting charcoal on the master forge so I got this SJG...plus I will be converting it into a mini wsm soon enough

Sounds like a fun week for sure...spoke to a legend, covertly scored a OTG, did some experiments, and spent more time chillaxin' in the smoke!!!

Vencil was great. I drive thru Taylor 2-3 times every year for the last 15 years for work. I don't know why it took me so long to stop by there. Their main pit has been there since the 70's. It is a reverse flow and beat to crap but it sure works. No thermometers anywhere. They were guessing that it runs a little above 300.

haha you KNOW why they should make one in that color...and don't lie...u'd buy it too. but yea I was tired of wasting charcoal on the master forge so I got this SJG...plus I will be converting it into a mini wsm soon enough

You will love that mini! It can cook quick meals and save you a ton on fuel.

Does Tyler Cafe still smell really strongly of tobacco smoke?

Not that I noticed. I am a non-smoker and that stuff really bothers me. I will tell you that it only has 1 window a/c unit and the locals were camped out right in front of it. It was warm in there. The place just looks like a movie set. Nearly everything in there has to be original.

Back