Grinding own hamburger meat question

SAVE YOUR PORK FAT IN THE FRIDGE..... Oil your spot for the burger with that Pig Honey like butta.... oyu will NOT be sorry.

Funny you should say that. I also save the fat trimmings from the whole cryovac ribeyes just for purposes such as this.

It is amazing how many different ways people use the same grinder.

I don't par-freeze my meat before I grind it, and I never have problems. I grind meat right from the fridge. I also cut my meats into strips, not chunks. The strips are about one-inch by one-half-inch, and as long as the meat. They pull right through -- I rarely have to use the wooden rod -- some grinds, not at all.

How much fat you trim, if any, is a matter of personal taste, IMO. Your burgers will be healthier if you trim the fat, and juicier if you leave it. If you grind a whole chuck, as is, your should come out around 80/20.

CD

Here is a before and after from my last grind, which was a chuck roast. I cut the roast into strips across the fat vein so there was fat in every strip.

picture.php

picture.php

CD

I found an OLD, small,hand cranked grinder at a yard sale....old dont mean good i must say....couldnt believe difference from store bought....also noticed since then that the 2 large grocery chains up here DO NOT even have a meat grinder in the butcher shop....wtf...cant wait to grind own for a fattie

One thing to be on the lookout for is the silver skin type connective tissue. I've found that it will get stuck on the blade and then clog the die. you'll know when this happens because the flow of meat out the end will start to slow and be confined to a few holes in the die.

Ever watch your meat man trim a piece of meat? One reason is people --think-- they like a super lean piece of meat. Second is they need the fat for making ground beef or sausage.

Back