Grilled Corn Dogs

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
An email which arrived from Thermoworks yesterday got me to thinking about making these - Corn Dogs. However, I didn't want to deal with a pot of hot oil, the added calories and having to dispose of it. Hmm, could I adapt this recipe for the grill? It's worth an experiment.

Here's the Thermoworks recipe link -

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/h...509198694861203724020572995817519827056756744

I had everything in house with the exception of the Buttermilk, so I picked some up at the market. I followed the recipe as indicated, but now comes the fun of how to grill these? Rather than skewering these and frying them in a pot of oil, I decided to prepare them in a different manner.

I quartered the hot dogs, used toothpicks instead of skewers, dipped them into the batter and placed each one into a cupcake baking cup. I ran a quick test out on the Bubba Keg, set up indirect with the platesetter -

The Keg was running a bit too hot (around 450, where it should have been around 325-350) and they were done in 10 minutes. The problem was the cornbread stuck like crazy to the bottom of the cup and was tough to remove without getting a bunch of paper coming with it. But the experiment was definitely successful.

In round #2, I sprayed each cup with Pam. Here's the prep -

and the corn dogs ready for the Keg -

Out onto the Keg. Keg temp was more reasonable, these were still done in about 10 minutes.

And they're done. Bottoms are nicely browned and the cornbread was a nice consistency.

Served with a bit of spicy mustard -

So there you have it. Corn Dogs adapted for the grill. They may not be on giant skewers and be as golden brown as they would be had they been fried in oil, but they were quite good!

Thanks for checking out this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

That's a great experiment! I'm much more apt to trying your version than anything deep fried.

Nice, very creative adaption. :thumb:

What if you skipped the paper cups and just used a muffin tin?

They look yummy! I love fried food but this is a great alternative for sure. One of these days I will stop fried foods if it don’t kill me first. But until then, fried please!

Nice, very creative adaption. :thumb:

What if you skipped the paper cups and just used a muffin tin?

Probably would have worked and I did think of using my "grill" muffin pans, but they're the large tins and would have been too big. We have smaller ones but they're for kitchen use only. :grin:

I'll admit these look nothing like regular golden brown corn dogs, they're more like hot dogs encased in corn bread, but they turned out fine.

Back