Greetings from SE Wisconsin

NotSoBigDan

Got Wood.
Hi all. I'm Not So Big Dan from Twin Lakes WI. I used to be Big Dan but then I messed around and dropped 240 pounds so now I'm Not So Big Dan. I'll be 54 in August and having grown up in Memphis TN I've loved BBQ my entire life. Especially Memphis style BBQ. I could literally eat one form of BBQ or another every day of my life and be completely happy.

I found the Brethren on the recommendation of my friend and all around good guy Jeff (surname withheld out of respect for the privacy of others). I'm not sure exactly what Jeff's username is, but he knows who he is. I tagged along with Jeff to the gathering at R.U.B. in Illinois and enjoyed it immensely. Those that were there made me feel perfectly welcomed even though they didn't know me from Adam. I appreciated that.

I also bought a barrel from Jeff's buddy that day and built a UDS. Unfortunately, his name escapes me at the moment. My apologies to him for that. Jeff kept trying to tell me how much I'd love a UDS as compared to my old offset smoker but I was just slightly skeptical. All I can say at this point is that after the first cook on the UDS, the offset went out to the curb. I hope whoever grabbed it enjoys it. It served me well for a long time but it was pretty tired and the UDS is head and shoulders above any offset that I ever used. I know there are some fantastic offsets out there, I just never had the opportunity to cook on a really nice one and I really, really love my UDS.

I built my UDS with a lot of ideas that I found while lurking here, some ideas from elsewhere, a lot of advice from Jeff and a few ideas of my own. I'm a retired Steamfitter (known as a Pipefitter in some places) so I was able to apply some of the heat transfer knowledge that came with the trade when building my UDS. I'm pretty proud of it and will likely add it to one of the UDS threads when I feel a little more comfortable. I don't want to be "that guy" that shows up and immediately starts up with "look at me, look at me, look at what I did," ya know?

I'll have plenty of questions for you guys (and gals) as I'm always willing to try and improve my cook quality and there are things that I've not yet done but have wanted to. For instance, tomorrow I'm going to smoke a beer can turkey. I've done many a beer can chicken on the grill or smoker and I've done beer can turkey in the oven at Thanksgiving for a few years now. It's always been really good, except for the skin doesn't crisp up all yummy golden brown like that of a beer can chicken done over charcoal. My grills and the former offset just weren't big enough to beer can a turkey, as badly as I've always wanted to.

Anyways, thanks for having me and I apologize for the long read. I hope to be a productive member here.

Thanks for the welcomes. Wyocena? I thought at this stage of the game that I could not possibly hear of a town in Wisconsin that I had not heard of before, but you win. Now I'm off to Google maps to see where it is.

Back