Gluten free pizza on Chargriller Akorn

hootstwo

Knows what a fatty is.
So, I'm not going to come out and say that this is better than any normal pizza that folks are doing, but I've yet to see anyone do gluten free pizza on a Kamado (I looked for inspiration!), so I thought "What the heck, I"ll blaze a trail!"

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease which means I can't handle gluten. Basically imagine all foods that have wheat, I can't have now. Makes life somewhat more challenging, but not too bad. I usually simply don't have foods that include gluten (so, cut out the pasta, bread, cereal...) but every now and then, I do a dish that attempts to be "wheat-ish". Pizza is definitely one of the tougher things to create.

When I normally do pizza, the crust to begin with is roughly the consistency of cake frosting, which I spread out with a spatula on parchment paper on a baking sheet, then bake for a while in the oven, then top and finish baking. It's not as bad as it sounds, but certainly not too much like the real thing.

Since I've purchased the CGK, I've been hankering to do pizza. I got myself a 16" cordierite pizza stone and decided today was the day. I found a recipe that's gluten free that actually requires being rolled out, so I thought, this could be the one. Got the Akorn up to 600 with the stone on, dressed a pizza and here's the results.
Small6-1.jpg

Small7-1.jpg

What looks like ash on the outside of the crust is actually Tapioca Starch (again, not as bad as it sounds). Turns out it was VERY good. Topped with mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, mozzarella, Parmesan and goat cheese. Damn good eats!

Back