Gap under drip pan- is this normal?

Totesmoron

Name or Nickame
HB
Hi all. I followed all specs but have a 1 inch space under the drip pan that goes right into the body of the island. Is this for venting? If yes, I presume it is also for bugs and lizards and rain water. Any suggestions here? I don't have sealed drawers or a cabinet just doors. Some screen mesh on the inside that would still allow air flow? Thx.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-073055_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-073055_Gallery.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 161
Wondering if I posted in the wrong forum. Seeing more posts about eating spiders ;) and 18 inch weiners. Still hoping someone can assist or move my post to the right spot. :) because I don't want to eat an actual spider.

What grill do you have?
What were recommendations you followed
Is the platform sitting on solid or open to cabinet below?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry. I should have mentioned. It is an Artisan American Eagle. Followed all specs. No mention of that vent is mentioned anywhere but I did get in touch with the salesman. He said that it is common to have this gap for ventilation and ease of instruction. He said I can install an insect screen. Thx for the response though.

Sorry- it is open to the cabinet. Didnt use a jacket. Used fire resistant material/steel. Guess that would have helped.

Don't think that's normal. Mine sits flush. As a matter of fact I've seen a lot of islands/kitchens with gassers and never seen a gap or pocket like that. I'd cover it up with the same stones you have on the fascia. Grill has plenty of vents on it to dissipate the heat.

Thx. You've convinced me to email the manu directly. Cutouts where followed but I wonder if we didn't consider the added countertop and should have (?).

I emailed the manufacturer. I think the company that sold it to me blew me off by saying it was to vent. I'm not mad about it because my contractor, while he did an amazing job, doesn't do this all the time. Hopefully I can add some stone or even a thin line of brick. I shall report back:)

I should have taken a better picture. Anyway, the manu emailed me and said there should be no gap (as long as the tray slides out).

I have the same gap and it is due to an error in construction.
When making the island, the contractor followed the manufacturer's dimensions exactly but failed to account for the granite tile that was to be placed on top. This was OK for a while as I did not immediately have it tiled and had the grill directly on the concrete where it fit perfectly. A year later with the addition of the granite tile the gap appeared.

I try to hide it by using a piece of angle aluminum to fill the gap.

Some stainless screen or even a strip of aluminum to fill it would look fine. I can't imagine worrying about it too much.

Back