THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Greg
So my wife bought me a Pit Boss vertical smoker for Father's Day. My UDS is kind of dead and ready to retire.

The family has requested brisket for father's day...nothing like starting off with a new "technology" with an easy task.

I've only ever cooked brisket hot and fast using the KISS method. I've heard that the smoke flavor will be seriously lacking using hot and fast with one of these cookers.

Any advise on tackling this new era in BBQ at my household?

So my wife bought me a Pit Boss vertical smoker for Father's Day. My UDS is kind of dead and ready to retire.

The family has requested brisket for father's day...nothing like starting off with a new "technology" with an easy task.

I've only ever cooked brisket hot and fast using the KISS method. I've heard that the smoke flavor will be seriously lacking using hot and fast with one of these cookers.

Any advise on tackling this new era in BBQ at my household?

I'd hit it on the "smoke" low setting for a couple hours then crank it.

Let us know how it turns out.

Congrats on the new smoker. Sorry to hear about your UDS.

I'd hit it on the "smoke" low setting for a couple hours then crank it.

Let us know how it turns out.

Congrats on the new smoker. Sorry to hear about your UDS.

I second what Pat says, especially since you're comfortable with HnF method. The smoke/low setting should help to give it some smoke flavor while keeping the cook to something that you're familiar with.

I use a variation of the “Traeger Midnight Brisket Cook”. Usually put the brisket on at midnight, let it roll on low smoke for 10 or so hours, wrap, and turn it up to 300* for a few hours. Always turns out great. I have a Rectec controller in mine so I don’t know if times would vary with the Pitboss controller or not.

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/midnight-brisket

No pressure huh? [emoji6] If you know H&F then do the brisket that way and learn your new cooker when you have time to piddle. Congrats on the new rig.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new smoker. JasonTQ has that same PB vertical and he may chime in with some additional advice, but what you have received seems solid.

I like my Copperhead! It does a great job with food but it will have a different taste than the UDS. I usually run mine with water in the pan but a lot if guys don't. I don't do a lot of briskets. When I do them, I cook at 275° for 8 to 10 hours. However, it will do H&F well, and put as much smoke on the meat as any pellet cooker will. You may have to change your flavor expectations a little or add a pellet tube to boost the smoke flavor. :idea:
PatAttack has some good advise to set it to 170° for 4 or 5 hours, then crank it up to 300 or higher to finish. That may help to get it more of what you want? Enjoy!!

Greg freaking love my 5 series. Love them so much I bought 2 for friends houses so I can cook there :-D.

He's a brisket cooked at 350 video that will just suck the life out of you

https://youtu.be/Q0ePVT7yWuY

Plenty of smoke flavor. I can't tell a difference running low for a few hours. But all methods welcome so figure out what you like.

Even got a 6th place brisket call at a comp with 60+ teams, so enough flavor to trick those judges :shock:

Start low, end hot. Run under 200F for 2-4 hrs because that's where you get dense smoke, bump it up to 250-300 to finish. I like to wrap in the middle because pellet grills move a lot of air and tend to dry the exterior of the meat. Unwrap for 15-20 min at the end to firm up the bark or apply sauce or glaze to ribs.

Back