THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
I made a small batch of tasso and it came out fantastic.
vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h09m17s882.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h09m56s131.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h10m04s962.png

vlcsnap-2019-11-10-15h10m24s691.png

Ingredients:
1 pork butt sliced into 1" x 2" strips
andouille seasoning, I used Targil's from Opelousas, it's perfectly spicy and the prices are cheap with reasonable shipping. It's not listed on the website so you have to call to get it. While you're ordering make sure to get all the other spice blends they offer. I'll leave a link below.

For the cure:
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 tsp of cure #1, prague powder #1
1 gallon of water

Directions:
mix cure and add meat to a bowl or bag, make sure meat is covered and let sit in the fridge for 2 days.
After 2 days of brining, rinse meat to remove brine and pat dry with paper towels.
Season meat heavy with the andouille seasoning and marinate for 2 days in the fridge.
After 2 days remove and spread meat on a cooling rack to let the juices drip and dry for 2 hours, it's cured and won't spoil
Hang in smoker and let air dry for an hour then start smoking
Smoke the meat for 4 hours at 150 then bump the temp up to 200 for another 2 hours or till the meat gets to 165
Remove and let cool to room temperature
Vacuum package and freeze till needed.

Here's a short video of the process, sorry about the lighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZ3Ntium0s&feature=youtu.be

Looks good, first time hearing about Tasso. Thanks for sharing.

Tasso is a spicy smoked pork butt used as a seasoning meat in gumbo, soups, stews, jambalaya, beans, greens or any other dish that you can dream up. Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp and tasso makes a side dish a meal!!!!

It's worth the trouble and once you try it you'll know why almost every store here sells it.

Thank you for sharing! I like using tasso and haven't ever attempted making it. I was looking at recipes a few weeks ago. Andouille is one of my favorite types of sausage so I will see about ordering some of the andouille seasoning.

Tasso is a spicy smoked pork butt used as a seasoning meat in gumbo, soups, stews, jambalaya, beans, greens or any other dish that you can dream up. Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp and tasso makes a side dish a meal!!!!

It's worth the trouble and once you try it you'll know why almost every store here sells it.

Tasso sounds delicious.

That looks about right. I used to add tasso to my beans and the occasional shrimp dish. I recently added it to a jambalaya and will be doing so from now on.

David

Strong work right there!

It's 21 degrees here north of Dallas and a big ole pot of gumbo sure sounds good!

Thanks everyone!

I should've mentioned this in the OP. I also used a pack of rib tips I had in the freezer and it worked out fine. From now on I'll save the rib tips for tasso, they should be perfect to flavor beans and greens.

All packed up ready to use as needed.
100-5602.jpg

Back